Prop Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mark jackson, Jan 7, 2019.

1. mark jackson

mark jackson Well-Known Member

Hi all when I got my P3 std second hand off ebay good aircraft no problim there but I only got one set of dirty props and 3 spare .... no spare full set
    I bought a set off ebay XCSource brand pretty red stripes on the tips but they have metal insert threads? The first set one of the silver ones had a bad thread contacted them they gave me $4 part refund so I took a chance and got another set all worked I sanded them and balanced them all ready to go
    My question is does this sort of prop work ok has anyone heard of the metal to metal thread fail or come loose in the prop ?............

2. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi I thought they were self tightening props so should never come loose

3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

That's what happens when you try to save a few bucks. BTW if something happens, these props will void the DJI warranty

4. mark jackson

I have done some research and I believe the props with the metal inserts are for a Phantom 2 one guy said to use plumbers thread tape when using on a aircraft something about hard deceleration could loosen them so I went and bought a set of proper DJI props better to be safe than crashed on the ground

holtneil and RENOV8R like this.
  5. holtneil

My phantom has self tightening props never had one come loose did you get the spanner to hold the motor when doing props up

6. mark jackson

yes I have the spanner the reason for the plumbers tape is to cushion the metal on metal.................apparently this is fine if you don't take your props off and on all the time I doubt if I will fly with these props and I have ordered a new set of DJI Props ...................................................

7. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

The DJI props seem to be the best choice. I have yet to use more than my one spare set. The originals said bye bye in a crash.........ughh.

8. holtneil

If you shop around you can get carbon props for the phantom , they fly really nice on these

9. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

The only 'plumbers tape' I'm familiar with is Teflon tape, which provides a slick surface on threaded pipe joints. It helps lub the connection, making the threading and disassembly easier.