Prop got ahold of my finger today....:((

Discussion in 'Safety & Regulation' started by Wildwelder, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Wildwelder

Wildwelder Well-Known Member

getting cocky with my arris 280. Just when I thought I was king of the world I felt that sharp pain..... You know the pain that tells you something pretty bad just happened but you don't wanna look.. Got cut through my fingernail down about an inch lotsa blood and all that. Because of the holiday I didn't wanna go to the ER. Checked online and the wait was 2 hrs. So clean a cut though I'm hoping I cleaned it enough and bandaged it so I won't have to go. I'll know tomorrow if I was successful . Moral: be careful damnit!!!! Happy 4th everyone and God Bless!!

Ninetoes likes this.
  2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

That's a lesson I'm sure most of us have learned the hard way. The ONLY time I worked on my 250 on the bench with the props on, I made the mistake of turning off my radio before I unplugged my quad. No big deal, except I have radio failsafe set so all channels go to zero except throttle which is set to 35% (since changed it to also zero). Why is it that when a quad is going ballistic on a workbench, it's human nature to stick your hand in a set of razor sharp, flesh shredding props in a vain effort to grab the battery plug instead of just turning the radio back on???

Anyway, feel fortunate that your hospital wait time is only 2 hours on a bad day. Here in Canada, the average for non-life threatening injuries is 6-8 hours. Keep an eye on that wound for signs of infection

Ninetoes likes this.
  3. Altsickeness

Altsickeness Quad Addict

Ouch!

4. Altsickeness

Altsickeness Quad Addict

6-8 hours? The cut starts to heal on its own by then.

RENOV8R likes this.
  5. [​IMG]

This week I was ytrying to figure out failsafes... I'm new to quads but not RC... I did the stupidest thing you can do I turned off the tx with props armed... As I heard my motor start to cycle up I new what I had done... As it flew up off the kitchen floor I knew what I had to do... Grab my new quad before it kills itself... I had motor failsafe at 1000 but min motor was 1050... so it went full... Now failsafe is set at 1100 at it works,,, but I aint tryin it in the kitchen again...thats for sure...lol

7 little stiches 65$ co pay and no damage to the quad...so happy!

6. Kabuki

Kabuki Drone Fan

Omg.. got me all queasy..

7. glowingturnip

glowingturnip Well-Known Member

make sure you get it cleaned properly, I had a scare with infection in my finger this year, nearly turned into septicaemia, 4 trips to A&E, 2 nights in hospital, operation under local anaesthetic, and I'm left with a mallet finger for life, not fun - make sure you don't pick up an infection !

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  8. RENOV8R

Dang, you coulda got a nice set of spare motors for $65

Ninetoes and Limited Supination like this.
  9. Wildwelder

@ glowing: thanks for the concern. I'm keeping it real clean and wrapped with antibiotic ointment.my pain level is minimal which tells me it's not infected- yet anyways. I hate hospitals for all the reasons we all hate hospitals so I'm gonna try to do this myself. I appreciate all the replies. Have a great 4th

10. Very sorry to hear the story of your mishap. People around me tend to laugh at the "Keep Hands Clear" warning sign, but it's no joke to me. I was into helis before quads, had a few accidents and many close calls. The general public, I'm afraid, has no idea about the forces involved... Get well, and as others have said, keep an eye peeled for infection

11. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Most of us have done it at some point carbon props are very sharp that's why I keep well away from my 630 heli when powered up I seen what a 450 quad can do ask MM what his quad did to his wife and living room
    Well well soon Sir and keep the cut clean

12. Wildwelder

As a follow up just wanna say my finger healed up fine but i have a little nerve damage as the outside of my pinky is numb :( So its safe to say ill never forget that incident. Now i just built a tarot 650 ironman 6s 15" props and I can honestly say it scares me a bit. But it is awesome too :))

13. Good to hear you're on the mend. I've been looking at that Tarot for a while. All I have is a little Robocat fpv, but I'd really like to move up to a real camera platform. I hope you'll keep us all informed on how that machine works out.

14. Wildwelder

Thank you Gregory. Actually its all done except for a camera gimbal. Im very happy with it, as it is very stable; in gps i could literally put a glass of water on it without spilling.I have retractable landing gear so a gimbal is the obvious next step. I mounted a stationary mobius just to get some footage. hope to post some pics soon.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  15. I'll look for that. How much did you have to spend to get it in the air? Did you get a complete kit or start with just a frame? It looks like a great way to go, to me. I do wonder, though, how much it will cost by the time one gets everything. My radio is a turnigy 9x, or something like that which is quirky but would do the trick. The retract landing gear looks awesome to me, and the cost is good. What kind of camera are you thinking on the gimbal? Are the no-brand gopros any good? Sorry about all the questions, mostly I'm wondering about the price...to tell the girlfriend/financial manager for her christmas shopping knowledge...... so the lower, the better ( wink wink nod )

16. RENOV8R

Here's what I'm using. 1/3 the price and identical dimensions so any gimbal and any accessory will fit. Amazing video quality It's got all the bells and whistles like timelapse, slow motion and image stabilization mode.
    http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_254191.html
    IMG_2362.JPG

17. Wildwelder

Heres my Mobius just fixed for now but I want to look into that Gitup2k Renov8er is using(thanks for the tip btw Ren)

Attached Files:

18. Wildwelder

Well Gregg I built it piece by piece no kit. It cost me around $700 so far w/o camera/gimbal. I just might buy a gimbal for my mobius. I remember seeing one online but if not ill go with a hero3. I dont know if no name heros are any good or not . Sorry for the late reply btw. Good luck with it!