Pre-buying advice

Discussion in 'First Build' started by AtomicTom, Apr 5, 2018.

1. AtomicTom

AtomicTom Member

Hi all, i am looking for some advice before i actually shell out some cash.

Ive flown out the box toy drones, quadcopters, helicopters etc for years and finally would like to make a jump from toys to a racing quadcopter. I have been doing a lot of looking online and i am just wanting to put my mind at rest as there are massive gaps in my knowledge and i dont want to make any costly mistakes.

First off i am looking at buying the wizard x220, with some fpv goggles and some 4cell batteries, a decent charger, better antenna, the works, i essentially need a full setup and intend on flying mostly freestyle in acro mode (i have been playing flying sims, space sims for years, the acro mode is a main reason for upgrade from the toys)

Is the rtf version worth getting, or am i better picking certain parts myself?

If the wizard fpv is sent out on a rp sma antenna, if i buy goggles that use just sma antennas, will that work??

The setting up of beaflight etc looks so intimidating..... i dont want to get any of that stuff wrong, or forget a failsafe.....

Any advice, tips or whatever would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Tom, Glasgow

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

A connector is just that, a connector.
    https://blog.banggood.com/rhcp-and-lhcp-whats-the-difference-29046.html

Depending on your budget these are well liked/reviewed. Pick your polarization (matching) and connector needed for each device.
    https://www.banggood.com/Realacc-5_...p-1140659.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=USA

If you get goggles with 2 antennas you can get one of these for your 2nd.
    https://www.banggood.com/Realacc-Tr...ytogether-auto__2&ID=513344&cur_warehouse=USA

AtomicTom likes this.
  3. AtomicTom

AtomicTom Member

Are the TBS triumph antennas any better than the cheaper omni directional pagoda antennas you suggested, or just paying for a brand name?

4. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

:rolleyes: ... TBS Triumph is a proven good antenna but they're kinda pricey, as is anything from TBS.
    Triumphs are "cloverleaf" aka "mushroom" antennas which are a type of "skew planar" that are
    extremely common and can range in price from dirt cheap to ridiculously expensive.
    As with anything "Caveat Emptor" prevails, so do your research. :)

Pagodas are an entirely different animal. They use parallel disks instead of wire "petals"and both are
    considered circularly polarized. Pagodas have more evenly distributed radiation patterns than clovers
    but seem to have less penetration. Both types are fragile without being covered by a protective shell
    but either can usually be repaired, by either bending a petal back into shape or adjusting plate spacing
    back to being even. You must match the polarization of the transmitting and receiving antennas for a
    good communication link. If you fly with others that have RHP then opting for LHP gives you a better
    signal with less interference from the others, and vice versa.

SMA and RSMA are the standard connections, so be aware when buying antennas for your gear to match
    these connections otherwise an adapter will be needed. ;)

AtomicTom likes this.
  5. AtomicTom

AtomicTom Member

Wow. There is so much to this i was completely unaware of.

Thank you again.

6. Gyro Doctor

:rolleyes: ... You're very welcome ... That's what we're here for. :D
    There's sooooo much to learn that it can be overwhelming, but a complete understanding of it all isn't really needed
    to enjoy flying. Start with something prebuilt and (relatively) cheap because you'll be crashing it a lot.
    You'll learn as you go when making repairs and at some point finally feel comfortable with starting your first build.
    That's when a more in depth understanding of everything will really come into play. Youtube videos galore are out
    there which cover many aspects of this hobby (besides evaluations of whatever products may interest you) which
    are a valuable asset to the learning process. :)

AtomicTom likes this.
  7. AtomicTom

AtomicTom Member

Im still not sure what im gonna buy yet, or build one from scratch as that seems more cost effective....

Id rather buy one rtf but i dont want a shitter hahahaha

8. Gyro Doctor

There's plenty of good RTF and BNF quads out there. I don't recommend scratch builds "right out the gate".
    Any deficiencies a particular quad may have (speed, agility, etc) won't even be noticeable enough until your
    skills exceed the limitations encountered. It's better to learn (and repeatedly crash) on a VW Beetle then later
    trade up when the time comes than to try a Ferrari for starters and destroy it before you're ever able to appreciate
    (or even handle) it's superior aspects. ;)

AtomicTom likes this.
  9. AtomicTom

AtomicTom Member

Any in particular you'd recommend?

Only ones ove looked at really was the wizard x220 and the crusader gt2017 (new gt2 200 i think)

10. Steven Campbell

Steven Campbell Well-Known Member

I have myself an Furibee X215 Pro as a BNF, inexpensive, flies well.

https://m.gearbest.com/brushless-fpv-racer/pp_708379.html?wid=21

I have a set of Aomway Commander goggles, under $350 with diversity, CNHL batteries are good 4s batteries that can be had rather inexpensively and they take a beating.

I have a number of IMAX B6 chargers. They are cheap and work.

AtomicTom likes this.
  11. AtomicTom

AtomicTom Member

That has an osd in it and at that price? Wow.
    I really need to do a bit more reseach and see what is actually available, as that looks like it would out perform the x220. Thank you for the info.

12. AtomicTom

AtomicTom Member

13. Jackson

AtomicTom likes this.
  14. Steven Campbell

AtomicTom likes this.
  15. Jackson

A 'bit' more?

Eye tommy.gif

That's more than double the price, and it doesn't even include a RX.

16. Steven Campbell

I have an I6, played with it for a bit before it heads to it's intended owner.

The I6 is basic, but with the interface of the taranis and setup options and relative ease once you learn the basics, the taranis is miles beyond the I6 IMO.

My original budget for a transmitter was in the I6 range, recommendations here for the taranis plus followed by watching a ton of videos, I made the plunge for the $200+ Taranis Plus, so glad I got it, love it, however I would have been equally happy with the Q X7.

AtomicTom likes this.
  17. Steven Campbell

Yes, it has an OSD, I turn virtually all but the battery voltage and a couple other things off, I also have a Bfight 210 but I like the x215 better. I'm also building one little by little, but the price of the build is already topping $350.

Unfortunately I lost an x215, ordered a replacement the same day, it's an inexpensive (on sale) durable, and flies well. As a newer flier myself, this is my go to as it's less painful if something were to happen.

I've had some crashes with it, haven't broken an arm yet, but then my crashes are only with trees and grassy areas with and without throttle.

AtomicTom likes this.