Please help. Cant get motors to spin with remote.

Discussion in 'First Build' started by xChrisKnightx, Dec 8, 2017.

1. xChrisKnightx

xChrisKnightx Member

Hi I'm new to fpv racing and am having a bit of trouble setting up my drone for first flight. I have beta flight installed and can go into it and see that my fc is registering my remote. I can also enter betaflight and turn the motors on and off within the app. My problem is that when trying to make the motors spin with the controller i get nothing to happen. I have no idea what I'm doing within beta flight so I'm sure its some settings I have wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. xChrisKnightx

xChrisKnightx Member

If this helps I am using an spf3 flight controller, fs-i6s remote and am hooked to the fc via ppm

3. SLFLY

SLFLY Active Member

You need to arm the quad first to start the motors.

Have you set up the arming switch in the modes tab in Betaflight ? And choose the correct aux channel ?

Have you turned on PPM in the FS-i6 transmitter menu under 'RX setup' ?

In the FS-i6 menu have you also assigned the aux channels to the switches ?

The switches wont work until you do that.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  4. xChrisKnightx

xChrisKnightx Member

I have ppm selected in the transmitter. Im not sure about the arming switch. Im going to check now.

5. xChrisKnightx

xChrisKnightx Member

6. xChrisKnightx

xChrisKnightx Member

is this correct?

7. SLFLY

SLFLY Active Member

The arm mode switch needs setting up. And the flight modes switch too.

Watch this set up tutorial for Betaflight. It goes through every step needed.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  8. SLFLY

SLFLY Active Member

This tutorial will help you understand the FS-16 transmitter to set up the switches

9. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

NO.
    Arm BF .JPG
    You are not in the range in this shot. When you flip the switch does it move into the range?

10. xChrisKnightx

xChrisKnightx Member

Do the esc's shut off the motors if the battery voltage is too low? I actually just killed my battery and am wondering if the low battery voltage was keeping the quad from working. I don't have another one so I have to order one to test it :( Just learned a valuable lesson about lipo batteries.......................

11. Yog Dharaskar

Yog Dharaskar Member

Coming from an FS-i6 user BetaFlight and FS-i6 is a really bad combination (so is CleanFlight) I would suggest using any of the OpenPilot based firmware with FS-i6. (At least until you get a total idea of what you are doing)

12. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

LOL, what the hell does that mean. BetaFlight actually has a FlySky specific IBus option.
    [​IMG]
    LOL
    OpenPilot (obsolete) was replaced by LibrePilot (stopped being updated) and was strictly for the CC3D FC. The OP stated he has SP3 FC.

13. Yog Dharaskar

Yog Dharaskar Member

It has an IBUS option but the fault is the potentiometers on an FS-i6 are not in proper sync regarding the minimum and maximum values for all the different channels so you have to go through a lot of trouble to set that up properly (i had to anyway). I know about OpenPilot and LibrePilot but I wasn't referring to them in the first place. I was referring to dRonin and TauLabs firmwares which are way better than BetaFlight or CleanFlight (It depends on personal choice though).

14. xChrisKnightx

xChrisKnightx Member

Thanks everyone for all the help. Just wanted to update you guys and let you know that I finally have it operating with the remote. :) Thanks for the video links. They were really helpful.

15. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

I'm also with an fsi6 never any major problems though. Did you upgrade the firmware for ibus. Had mine 3 years nearly. Served me well. Next would be a turnigy evolution.

16. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Mainly a cleanflight guy but I built a micro & the board was betaflight.
    Easiest setup yet. The Piko blx b4 that was either a pain or a dud.