Paint the 2 front propellers with different colour

Discussion in 'Newb Guides' started by davidhk129, Mar 5, 2019.

1. davidhk129

davidhk129 Well-Known Member

All my drones have black propellers.
    Being a newbie, one of the hurdles is orientation when the drone is facing different directions.
    I know "headless mode" is the solution.
    However, I don't want to use headless mode all the time.
    I am thinking of spray-painting the 2 "front propellers" with different colour so that I will tell which part of the drone is the "front".
    My question is : since paint is added onto the front 2 propellers, will it cause "front heavy" balance issue ?

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

It won't cause balance issues as far as the centre of gravity goes, the gyro will handle the small change in weight. But it will throw the props out of balance which can lead to poor performance, shortened flight time and hot motors. Aftermarket props for most quads are available in a multitude of colors which would be the correct way to go.

roger jones and GJH105775 like this.
  3. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and USAF 1C6 Moderator

If you need help finding ones that are already colored for your quad just post your model number and we can help. You might dye them different colors, but the paint is just a little too heavy and wouldn't go even enough to not cause balance issues on the props. Vibrations and overall poor performance just aren't worth it.

davidhk129 and RENOV8R like this.
  4. davidhk129

Thank you.
    Model number : KY601S
    I bought it from Amazon.ca...… Heitaisi Drone

5. Al Parmer

Al Parmer Member

You can paint your props but then you will have to balance them. No big deal with bigger props, but it gets harder the smaller they get.

For orientation, you can order different color props. Something else you could so is use a carbon fiber or even a wooden dowel and attach it to the back of the drone (perpendicular to the ground) with an orange pingpong ball. I have used this to teach others and works well. I wish I had a photo to show you.

X---o

Imagine you are looking at the copter from a top view and it is facing left. X is the copter, dashes are the CF or dowl, and the "o" is the ping pong ball. Hope this helps.

davidhk129 likes this.
  6. davidhk129

Thank you.
    By practising with my micro drone (Helifar H803) inside my small apartment, I am getting relatively competent piloting the drone whichever way it is facing.
    I have bigger drones but have to wait for agreeable weather before I can play them outside. They are not gps or optical flow altitude hold version. Wind will take them away. I tried, almost lost one.
    I am awaiting for the delivery of SJRC Z5 GPS quadcopter. Then I'll play outside.

Al Parmer likes this.
  7. roger jones

roger jones Well-Known Member

Or if possibly swap out some parts. I have added red front legs and prop guards to my Bugs 3.

8. Alan_Hepburn

Alan_Hepburn Member

I'm still a newer than new pilot, but the only time I've crashed my drone is when I was using the "headless" mode...it seems easier for me to NOT use headless!

9. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Yep, best not to use headless mode. It will just ingrain bad habits, especially if you're going to migrate to FPV which most do.