Newbie, Wants a Racing Quad with GPS

Discussion in 'Mini Quads & Racing' started by nick caruso, Feb 15, 2016.

1. nick caruso

nick caruso Member

I want a racing quad with GPS new to racing and figure the best way is to learn how to fly is with a GPS.. I have been looking at the storms with Naza, any recommendations out there??? Mainly looking for something to maintain my altitude and then I can handle the steering from there.. I hope so anyway..

2. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

I installed a naza on mine once just playing around. It was super stable, but not sure how much it will teach for acro.

It almost seems better to get a cheap quad to learn on with the money you would spend on the naza unless you plan on building an AP craft once you get used to the controls, and replace it with an acro.

Also there are different modes too angle, horizontal, and manual of course. (beginner, advanced, and expert)

3. nick caruso

nick caruso Member

Basically I'm looking for the same stability I'm getting from my XIRO Explorer..,its amazing as far as stability I mean it almost or should I say it fly's it self.. kind of what I'm looking for in the racing FPV quad I want to have the same stability and be able to use a some fat shark goggles. Not worried about speed or anything I'm sure that will come in time.. already own EMAX nighthawk and a vortex but just can't get the hang of it and can't help to think a GPS would make the experience so much easier..

4. ringolong

Have you thought about a barometer instead of gps? Gps is for position hold, and return to home functionality.

A barometer would hold altitude while you fly around.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  5. nick caruso

nick caruso Member

Negative but I will definitely look into it any suggestions..

6. ringolong

A naza has a barometer to hold altitude. You could save some cash by getting one without the gps puck.

7. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Naze 32 Full Rev 6 has angle mode which is altitude hold. And when you get confident enough to go to rate mode, angle mode is your "safety switch". Plus it's GPS capable.

8. nick caruso

nick caruso Member

So leaning toward the Storm Racing quad with the Naza V2 maybe the answer then.. seams like it has everything I'm looking for..

9. nick caruso

nick caruso Member

Definitely going to pick up the Naza 32 looks like it will add some control the my Nighthawk.. thanks for that info..

10. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

You sure? Angle = self level mode, like our toy quad use.

You don't need GPS you just have to put some time and effort into tweaking the FC software settings and/or you transmitter also (throttle curves, expos etc.). You probably have 3 different flight modes and each one can be individually tweaked. And you need to practice, lotsa practice.

Sounds like you are have throttle management problems, that is a tough one to master.

Here's a true master pilot, nothing fancy about his build and he's just using an old plain Jane KK2 flight controller with no self leveling or anything. He didn't get there overnight.

It's also a good example how you don't need fancy materials or a lot of money to enjoy this hobby.

RGJameson and ringolong like this.
  11. ringolong

What Jackson said.

This guy is still at it too. he is using the naze32 and blheli in this video.

12. nick caruso

nick caruso Member

Thanks Jackson i'll put some more time into the flight controller.. definitely may have to pick up the Naza32 though.. all the help is appreciated gentlemen..

13. Arthur89777

Arthur89777 Member

14. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

You'll note he used a CC3D for his racer. :)

15. nick caruso

nick caruso Member

That literally was amazing.. I'm just looking to stay in the air ..

16. Joester_FPV

Joester_FPV Member

I strongly recommend the Naze32 rev 6. You can get it from a number of online stores and it is simply the best for all abilities. It has three modes: angle, horizon and rate. Angle is when the quad levels itself and you just tell it where to go making it extremely simple to fly as you suggested you wanted. In addition, you can turn on the built in barometer on the flight controller which will maintain you height making flying super easy. Horizon offers the self-leveling of angle in the center of your sticks, but still allows flips. Rate/Acro gives you full control of the quad and you have to tell it every command - this is what most race pilots use. So, as for your question, I would highly recommend the Naze32 rev6 for its self leveling, in built barometer and the way you can progress your flying to the next level as it has it all.

I fly with the Naze32 and if you want check out my youtube channel to see my 3D printed quad! It is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtwVs0Y88hIJtVsHDZygiPA

Here are a few of my vids so far:

17. anthnson1

anthnson1 New Member

If you are a beginner, so NASA is a right for you.It's always a good idea to get a cheap, robust ready to fly mini copters that offer fantastic GPS stability and assistance flying modes. You can also read these for more information: http://bestdroneforthejob.com/

18. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member