Newbie in Arizona..

Discussion in 'Safety & Regulation' started by Ninetoes, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Ninetoes

Ninetoes Say again Howland.

Hi all..Being new to quadcopters I purchased a Syma X5c. Have been flying around the house,indoors and out. Wanting to venture out to the local park I first looked at FAA regs on doing so. From what I read it cannot be flown within five miles of an airport. Well,between our airport and the local hospital helipad,it pretty much means I have to leave our town to fly my quad. In trying to understand the rules,it appears they are for both commercial and recreational flight use. Any thoughts?

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Screw the FAA, they'll never take me alive argggg

Ninetoes likes this.
  3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Smoking props, 3 packs a week the fun never stops.

fly, be free, just don't do anything silly or go over 400' high. You will struggle with 200-300' LOS. Be sensible. I'm right on the 5mile boundary but there are 2 RC model clubs near me. Flyers all the time. Had police checking me out. So the worst they will do is move you on. If you not playing safely that is.

Ninetoes likes this.
  4. Ninetoes

Ninetoes Say again Howland.

Thanks..I'm just going to fly it with common sense,nice and low while learning and leave if asked. Seems the way to go.

5. Birdy

Birdy Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Remember, the new FAA regs are **primarily** aimed at commercial drone use.

You'll be fine.

Ninetoes likes this.
  6. bullgoose

bullgoose Active Member

I cant see you getting into any bother with the X5C1, range at best 100 metres. Good choice for a first bird , for mastering the basics of flight its still the daddy IMO

Ninetoes likes this.
  7. GlassKnees

GlassKnees Well-Known Member

I'd recommend, if you haven't already, register with the FAA and affix your ID on your aircraft. If any cops come by while flying outside and you show them, they're likely to regard you as being responsible and leave you alone. That is, unless they are one of Sheriff Joe's deputies, in which case, they will only be interested in you if you look Hispanic.

Ninetoes likes this.