Newbie-> from U818 to Bugs 3...and the learning to fly process for me

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Roger EWing, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

You should probably be ok with Gearbest shipping, but odds are you will be blind until it arrives. Banggood is actually pretty good, but more often than not you won't see any tracking information. It will just arrive unannounced in 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. I use Banggood a lot and like them. Gearbest has the reputation for being not quite as prompt or reliable, but seems like if you're patient you will get your stuff.

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

What's odd is that many non quad related purchases arrive faster.

3. Roger EWing

Roger EWing Too many hobbies

Something from FedEx attempted delivery today, but I wasn't here to sign. I presume it is the stuff from Gearbest...as I can't think what else it would be. I'm surprised a signature is required.

It did say to contact the post office to reschedule delivery.

4. Roger EWing

Received the stuff. Turns out I ordered the wrong direction of motor.

In the meantime I've been flying the Mavic and studying for the 107 test. Getting anxious to get the Bug back in the air.

Been trying to find people locally that fly and not having much luck.

5. Roger EWing

Props balanced. New motors on. Lots of batteries.

So I flew through 3 batteries, and no crashes, no drops from sky. I did have a few somewhat rough landings, but doing much better.

Have been flying the Mavic and learning the intelligent modes.

I plan to do a lot of flying with the Bugs, and plan to focus a lot of my practice upcoming soon on steady flying, altitude maintenance, smooth landing, and becoming used to moving the stick in the right direction when it's coming toward me. I am better at that, but often do an initial push the wrong direction and then correct it.

One thing that is yet a bit of a panic mode fore me: If I get out far/high enough, it can be difficult to determine which direction it is flying. I had one time that it got quite high, and in some better wind, and I lost track of my direction and took it over to the park the next street over. I ended up bringing it down hard in the park before I put it in someones house :eek:

6. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

You have to practice this, so you can do it when you need to.

7. Roger EWing

Sure enough. I need to practice that. I'm familiar with that concept but am way too green and forget it. One thing that had me spooked was I was afraid that pushing forward, and maybe it was actually facing away would take it even further away and out of range.