New quadcopter operator

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Alex50, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Alex50

Alex50 New Member

I received a small overly used beginner type quad from a relative. I've never flown one of
    these things, but thought that just the experience of familiarizing myself with the controller
    and how the quad responded would help if I later decided to get a more advanced model.
    I tried operating the quad indoors at first and noticed that it had a lot of drift that was difficult
    to trim out. At times I was able to maneuver it around well enough to chase the cat. Outdoors, the
    quad tended to get away from me and ignored commands. Also, body orientation was difficult to
    determine from distances over 20 feet. The auto hovering feature that I've seen in videos would
    would of been be a great asset to have. Can anyone recommend a non GPS model that can hover
    and hold position with only the corrections from the onboard gyro and accelerometer platforms ?

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Can I ask what your intended use is?
    Photography/video or general flying LOS maybe some acro if you get better.
    & most importantly, what is the budget.
    I thought I'd ask the question for the cowboy. He will be along in a minute with a ton of links. :D

3. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

mozquito1 likes this.
  4. mozquito1

There he goes;)

Jackson likes this.
  5. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

6. Alex50

Alex50 New Member

I have no intended use for the little toy, but since it was given to me I thought that learning how to
    operate it might have future benefits if I ever decide to invest in a more advanced model. My question
    again concerns what quads are available that can hover and maintain its position with corrections only from the
    inertial measurement unit and without GPS inputs or manual trim adjustments.

7. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

8. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Didya watch the vid I posted? o_O

9. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Hovering is overrated

ArmyVet and mozquito1 like this.
  10. mozquito1

Pretty much any quad you buy will do that. How old is & what is the drone you have now, it may just need calibration.