New from Nashville(ish)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PredsFan, Jun 12, 2018.

1. PredsFan

PredsFan Member

Hey all, Robert from Pegram, TN, just to the west of Nashville for those not familiar with the area, and some who are. Yea, it's small.

Just bought my first drone, a Parrot Bebop 2. I wanted to get something that wouldn't reduce me to tears if I destroyed it, but the Bebop had good reviews for flyability, so I'm hoping that won't happen. Took it for its first flight last night and it seemed to live up to the reviews. I was able to control it easily with only one slight mishap caused by trying to land on an unlevel surface.

Anyway, I'm excited to get flying more and am open to any and all tips. Hope to see some of you out there.

Robert

Torc the Sinister likes this.
  2. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Welcome to the forum! I've always liked the looks and specs of the Bebop 2, but never flown one.

PredsFan likes this.
  3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Robert, that's a great quad to start with. I'm sure it won't be long before you're asking us what you should buy next....

PredsFan likes this.
  4. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Well-Known Member

I have a family member that bought that quad from a friend of his, just so he could inspect his roof of the house he was building... or at least that was his excuse.

He has quite the controller setup too... seemed to fly pretty great.

PredsFan likes this.
  5. PredsFan

PredsFan Member

Thanks guys. I spent my lunch hour flying my new drone. It is easy to fly. I like the fact that I can control how fast it flies and turns in the FreeFlight Pro app so that it doesn't get away from this noob. I tried the FPV feature which, while it definitely has a cool factor, will probably not be the way I regularly fly because it is somewhat disorienting and it takes an extra couple of minutes to set up.

A couple of issues I have had: The app asked me to calibrate my drone at least three times. I calibrated it right out of the box last night and again, at the app's request, right before flying at lunch, and it still asked me to do it again. If this becomes a regular thing it will be annoying as heck. Also, a couple of times I had trouble getting the WiFi to connect, but once connected it seems to stay connected as long as the drone is on. Call that a very minor annoyance.

Overall, the flying is very predictable, even with the slight, but noticeable lag between controller inputs and drone reaction. After a couple of minutes of flying I adjusted without any real conscious thought about it and it really wasn't an issue. I do wish I could invert my vertical controls, as that is how I have always flown in games, etc. I find myself going up when I want to go down and vice versa about as often as I find myself doing it correctly. If it's possible, I just haven't found the right switch.

I really can't wait to get out to a park or somewhere more open to really put it through its paces. At a discounted price of $300 from Best Buy, I have to say I'm glad I bought this drone. I know it's somewhat entry level, but it seems like I'll have quite a bit of fun, at least getting my money's worth out of it.

6. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! I am right below you in Chattanooga!

PredsFan likes this.
  7. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

8. PredsFan

PredsFan Member

We love that area, of course. Pretty much everything east of Nashville gets really pretty.