new FAA rules

Discussion in 'Safety & Regulation' started by Mrbones, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Mrbones

Mrbones New Member

Greetings to all! I am new to the quadcopter world. I have every intention in conducting myself in a safe manner while flying and will obey all rules. What I would like to know is registration required by law. Is this a request by the FAA or is this a legal law that has been approved and put into place.

2. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

3. Mrbones

Mrbones New Member

Ok thank you. I will assume the answer is that it is a law. I just thought that it was mainly being directed at commercial operators.

4. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

Just use common sense when flying, and you should not have any worries. Most of the rules are just guidelines for hobbyists.

5. dronenut101

dronenut101 New Member

yes, you are required to register if your drone weighs more than .55lbs..

6. Build Drone Biz

Build Drone Biz New Member

If you are flying as a hobbyist (not for commercial purposes) then you just need to register once for multiple drones. If you're operating under FAR 107 (not as a hobbyist) then you have to register all drones. You also have to have the registration number on your drone and the registration with you when operating the drone. You can find instructions here if it helps. Oh, and there are some sites online that offer to do it for you. Don't pay extra. Just do it on the FAA site. It's easy enough.

7. Gabriel Yee

Gabriel Yee Well-Known Member

There are many regulations regarding this....mainly you need to register the drone if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds. You have to have a tail number attached to it. You cannot fly it over people or from a moving vehicle. And you need to keep it with in your line of sight.

If you need to read more then check out this blog post with all the details about FAA Part 107 Regulations. What you need to know about flying a commercial drone.