Need help on building a quad

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Syntax_Err, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

I'd like to know if this is a good quad setup, and if not, other quad builds around this cost and size that i could try. This is my first build, however i flown a lot of other more toy-ish and semi serious quads before. I'm also am okay at soldering and know my way around electronics. I have a FrSky Taranis Q X7 and a 5.8 ghz headset (I fly planes often, and i'd like to dip my toes in something new. )

ALSO, this is my first post here, so forgive me if i don't follow the norms here

So, now for my proposed build:

frame : www.flexrc.com/product/pico-x-silver-frame/
    $22.5

FC/RX/ESC: www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Eachine-Minicube-20x20mm-Flytower-Compatible-Frsky-Flysky-for-DSM2-Receiver-F3-Blheli-S-10A/32793716232.html
    $59.99

AIO: www.banggood.com/Eachine-TX05-0_0152550100250mW-Switchable-w-OSD-AIO-5_8G-72CH-VTX-600TVL-NTSC-Mini-FPV-Camera-p-1181013.html?cur_warehouse=USA
    $25.99

Motor: www.gearbest.com/multi-rotor-parts/pp_603474.html?wid=21
    1 motor
    $11
    4 motors = $44

Props: www.gearbest.com/propeller/pp_618944.html?wid=21
    20 blades
    $5.75

Total Cost: $158.23

Thanks! :)

Also, I changed the links from com to moc, change them back if you want to go to that website
    *I know it's sneaky, but I really needed post those links. If there's another way to do this, please let me know. And if any moderators want me to remove them :(, let me know
    **NO, I am NOT affiliated with any of these companies

Edit: clarification and cleanup of post
    Edit2: I CAN LINK :p LOL. So i relinked everything for your clicking needs. ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Hello-There-Calender-Picture-800x442.png
    Link away man. Think you may have to write another 2 posts, first.

Syntax_Err likes this.
  3. mozquito1

That seems like a decent list, I found the frame. Pico-X-Silver-Bullet-Frame-1-600x600-1024x1024.jpg
    On there website it says 1S.
    I reckon 2S easy on 1106
    If you could bump that 4in1 esc up to a 15amp or 20a, you could fly a 3S.
    88mm will be a tight build for a beginner.
    This is my 130, it's a bit heavy as it's got 4s 20amp esc's, but I only run 3S but it can be pushed & it's all cool except for the vtx03.
    IMG_20180114_093804383-1024x575.jpg
    If you want to just stay on 1S then your list is OK and it could run a 2S on that 10amp. Buy some type of micro connector & tiny zip ties, I like using the Xt30
    I did a flyegg rush build before Xmas & solderd a pair of 90° servo pins from the board onto an xt30. It was a bottom loader obviously but the battery just swooped round nice & plugged in the top.
    No fpv gear, just a little velcro mount for a camera like mine. SQ11 I just pull stills off 720p 30fps if I want pictures.
    VideoToPhoto 636134506697348730-800x450.png
    VideoToPhoto 636076716577968486-1024x576.png
    IMG_20170816_072916.jpg
    These esc I use are small but I don't think they would fit on the arms of a 90mm quad.

Gyro Doctor and Syntax_Err like this.
  4. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

so, If i understand what you said, put in a 20 amp instead of the 10 amp and everything should be good to go? Also, do you think i could race a little with this. I might be looking into that in the future. Also, thanks. Definitely will be bookmarking this place.

5. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

Also, cool quad!:D

6. mozquito1

For sure. Your list is my quad Except the esc. I think there is micro 20x20mm 4in1 20amp out there. definitely 16amp & 12amp. All them would run 3S & give you a rush. You would be ok on a sluggish 1S but looking for more of a kick after a few hours of flight. So you may aswell build the 3S & you could start off on a 2S 300mah or 3S 300mah lipo.

Syntax_Err likes this.
  7. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

Sounds good :D . On last question, is there a way to get some sort of OSD for stuff like battery voltage and an artificial horizon? (I mean without drastically changing my setup.) 'cause that stuff looks useful and cool. How useful are they

8. mozquito1

Swap the board from the pico to the micro betaflight 3.2 + osd.
    Wire the cam to the board them from the board to the vtx to have osd.

9. mozquito1

I find osd gets in the way, all I have is flight time & channel.
    Oh, disarm for signal loss.
    I find there is lag on the horizon font & it off putting.

10. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Gyro Doctor, Syntax_Err and mozquito1 like this.
  11. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

WOW. my 40amp ESC for my plane can only power one motor and is WAY bigger than that.o_O

It's definitely an overkill, but I might get it so i can reuse it in a bigger or faster quad (or both ;) )
    looks like if i get it i could drop the AIO cam and get a standalone cam.... any suggestions? things to be wary of when searching for a cam?

mozquito1 likes this.
  12. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

I was digging around, and i found a fatshark cam... pics to come....

EDIT: when i say i found one, I mean i have one at my house, not on the web. LOL. forgot to clarify that ;)

13. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

14. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

How well do you think this quad will grow with me? could i put a 4s in it and get competitive? Also, are these sellers to be trusted?

15. RENOV8R

N = NTSC
    P = PAL

Syntax_Err likes this.
  16. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

17. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

So, do you guys thing this quad would grow with me. As in, could I get competitive if I slap on a 4s? And is my camera compatible with the FC?

18. RENOV8R

For an under 100 mm build like you're planning, I'd just stick with the mini AIO cam linked to. It has video in and out so you can run it through your flight controller for OSD if you want

19. Syntax_Err

Syntax_Err Member

Thanks all. :) Will be ordering the parts soon. Perhaps ill log the build on here as well. Last question, will this have any chance in a race with other quads this size? I also have a chisel tip soldering iron: Should i get a smaller tip?

20. mozquito1

That stack is pricey but,. Hello :cool: baby.
    Nice find RENOV8R ;)