Need advice on a multi-use FPV setup

Discussion in 'Mini Quads & Racing' started by Chase Skipper, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Chase Skipper

Chase Skipper New Member

I'm wanting to build a set that would enable me to use the FPV glasses for a regular racing (250ish) drone AND a Tiny Whoop style build. I've got a 3d printer, so why not play inside and outside, right? Any suggestions, advice on what to look for to ensure compatibility all around? Any help is appreciated. I'd like to get into FPV and leave my Mavic for the photographic stuff..

2. Brown

Brown Member

What do you mean by Tiny Whoop Style build?

3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

For that setup you may aswell just buy a micro vtx & cam in one. Easy to build if you the know how & spare parts. But you can buy em for 40-50 bucks. Only weigh 20g or so but the Cmos camera ain't that good. Thing move along so fast. You may be able to get a superHAD micro. But doubt it. This is about the only option for all round compatibility. Plenty of vids out there on how to build a micro cam/vtx.
    1gram camera £15
    Cheap vtx £15 smaller the better.
    Piece of shielded coax £? (buttons) even for 1m.
    What Tx do you use. I have the i6 so I have a really small rx the A8S which would fit in a tiny whoop without its cover. It has good range.500m
    Some good 1106 motors out there at the moment. I have even seen plastic motors with plastic bells. If they where free I would try them out but I ain't buying them. Maybe if someone asks for a micro I try talk em into it. See what happens.
    My motto is if it ain't broke don't buy a new one. You will just jinx yoself.

4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

I have spares for everything just not fcb's.

5. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

Hey Skip................The problem you'll face the most is "tradeoffs". For a racing, a big factor is lag(latency). The higher the quality, the longer it takes to get to you. In an AP platform(like the Mavic) it's not critical. But in a racing quad it's very important because of the speed. As for cost there are many camera/VTX combos that come in under $30.............

Most racers I know use a 600 to 900 tvl camera...........because of the lag..........

mozquito1 likes this.