Motor upgrade question

Discussion in 'RTF Modification & Repair' started by Thereverend, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Thereverend

Thereverend Member

I have a Walker a runner 250. Is possible and if so what motor ESC upgrade would you recommend?
    I like supporting those of our ilk but an Amazon link would be great too. I a newb to the core so make fun as you wish but some helpful knowledge would be great. Things like what all the numbers mean when describing motors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all
    Adam

2. HDtallrider

HDtallrider Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum reverend! Let us know what your budget is so we can do a better job of spending your money! As far as motor numbers go, we can use a motor of the size your quad would use; 2306 kv2050. The 23 is the diameter in mm of the motor. The 06 is the height of the magnets in the outer bell also in mm. The kv2050 is the rpm(2,050) the motor will spin with 1 volt input. For ESC's there are 2 numbers to look for. For your upgrade we would probably go to an ESC that could handle 20 amps continuous and operate up to 600hz. The minimum operating frequency you would ever want is 400hz. 600hz is better for your speedy little quad and the 20amp upgrade will run cooler. There are motor/ESC combos out there that cost more than your quad and would completely transform it into a beast! Or we could find you something a little less radical for fewer dollars. Fair warning. It's addictive. Once you start it becomes like a disease instead of a hobby!! :p

3. Thereverend

Thereverend Member

THANKS! for the warm welcome and you are so right about the disease. My friends infected me. He start w I think a $16 syma and then to about a $90 one and now ordered (not quite here yet) "a Floureon FPV 250 Racer Mini Drone Super Combo w/2300KV 2204 Motor Glassy Carbon RC Quadcopter Frame 12A ESC Mini CC3D Flight Control (Unassembled)" (quote from Amazon). I've been practicing on his stuff. I got the Walker a really blindly, I mean just didn't know that much, read some threads, saw a youtube unboxing, said what the hey, so hit up Amazon. I just got my Thursday and haven't got everything I've ordered which was, the copter kit, 2 3000mAh bats, a better charger, extra blades, a brass post assortment, a lipo bag, a knock-off balance charger ($20) and some RC XT connectors. So that my lot. I thank you for explanation of the numbers. Now your question, I'd drop a couple hundred if performance warrants. I really would love you to babble on and on so I can learn from someone w experience (though I don't know how much others would like it). What about something like this one http://www.amazon.com/Emax-Mt2213-B...d=1445600133&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Emaxx+2213 and look at the "frequently bought together" section?
    Thanks HD

4. HDtallrider

5. Thereverend

Thereverend Member

Yup,except my vecro

6. Thereverend

Thereverend Member

I now realize that those motors are too much but can you recommend some motors and ESCs?
    Thanks guys

7. HDtallrider

Not sure what a vecro is.........
    Here is two motor ESC combos to consider. The first is a very good upgrade. A cut above just "good". The second is simply the very best currently available. Nothing else I've come across matches their quality and performance (or high price). I have a set of these and they are drool worthy!

http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/products/RELEVANT/Combo_pack/
    http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html You will need this to power your controller etc. Very good noise rejection. You can place it next to Rx

http://www.kdedirect.com/collections/xf-multi-rotor-power-system-kits/products/kdepsk-2306-fpv 'Nuff said.......

One suggestion is to use the power system that comes with the quad to get used to it then light a fire under it with one of these packages.

8. Thereverend

Thereverend Member

Just dreaming a nd learning appreciating ya'll's knowledge. I know you're totally right but I have this problem like once I bought a Tacoma then just HAD to put a supercharger on I t w 1k miles on a perfectly fine truck that probably stems from the fact I wasn't held enough or breast Fed enough as a child or some sh*t, ha. I really just wanna learn. Oh, and I meant Velcro - mine's black.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  9. HDtallrider

Well, if you like tinkering then this hobby(disease?) is right up your alley. I build, take apart and change, and build again. I spend more time fiddling and modifying than I do crashing! I mean flying!! :p

10. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Im the same way..i cant consider "stock" good enough for me hahaha....I always have to figure out a way to gain more performance or improve something.

Coming from an off shore powerboat and drag racing back ground, its just in my blood.

I was drag racing an 87 5.0 mustang back in the early 90s in the NMRA series and among one of the first to break the 12 second barrier in the FACTORY STOCK (F/S) class in my area....Now this class hits 10 second times but by no means are they stock or cheap..Once it became a who had the most money instead of a skills class ,i got out of it.

Now i piddle around in my 2.3L Ford Ranger truck but, an 87 thunderbird turbo coupe 2.3L motor with an upgraded turbo/intercooler and T5 transmission is not far from being a reality...Just something about an innocent looking stock ford ranger with no hint of it having near 400hp under the hood ,that excites me.

Now its playing with quads to improve them..hahaha...Sooooooo much cheaper:)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  11. HDtallrider

Unless you get into "real" quads.........:D Whew! Those dollars here and there really start to add up!!!

12. Mike H.

Mike H. Toy Quad Builder

Just hurry up and install that jjrc board..it may out perform one of your "real" quads.:D

HDtallrider likes this.
  13. Thereverend

Thereverend Member

Man that Rangers sounds awesome I'd love to see that thing in action. I Drive a Volkswagen TDI now and I love Beatles and turbos you know and I just love the sound of that turbo so about to put a stage 1 tune on it but for this federal government crap going on here knows what's going to happen. We'll just have to see but I dis is the best car that I've ever had in my life a little four cylinder turbo diesel I love it.

14. HDtallrider

Haha! I doubt it. I like big stuff. That's why I ride a Harley instead of Vespa:cool:

15. Thereverend

Thereverend Member

Let's us kiddies play in the sandbox also!

16. Thereverend

Thereverend Member

You fine lot of fellows have been lax on your game to satisfy my petulant need for your kNowledge. Walker a 250, I saw this
    http://www.amazon.com/MT1806-Brushless-Program-Propellers-Quadcopter/dp/B00ZR341MS
    On Amazon. Would someone be so kind as to explain why I should/shouldn't/couldn't use this?
    Listen ya'll-I know 93.2657% of you are actually cool and I'm just trying to learn and come here bc "word on the street" is this is the finest of provenance. Blather at glorious will - oh, mom said say please.

17. HDtallrider

Well Rev. Since you asked, here is my opinion. You get what you pay for. Yes they will work. For a while. Probably no better than what you've got. Maybe not even as well. I, personally, refuse to bottom feed. A little story. Before I joined this forum and took advantage of the knowledge available here. I ordered a bunch of parts to build a 450 size quad. Based on the cheap prices I found for parts I figured I could build this for about $225 to $250 including radio. What total absolute crap that stuff was. I began to do some serious research and ended up spending another $500 to correct my mistake. I ended up spending more in the long run by buying cheap, inferior, Chinese crap to start. I made up my mind then to never, ever go down that road again. I wait on a build until I can get the good stuff. When I crash I want it to be pilot error. Not the failure of junk parts. So that's MY opinion. All two cents worth of it........:rolleyes:
    One question for you. Your quad was an RTF. Is something wrong with the power system already? Or have you just caught the bug and can't leave it stock? Hahaha!

18. Thereverend

Thereverend Member

Sir, I am in awe of your honesty, thank you. There is nothing wrong as far as I know bc I I have only opened the box. I do have "the bug" and always have. You see the extent of my infection as I have yet to even fly the damned thing! I come seeking knowledge not unlike what you just provided. "Shut up dumb ass and burn what you got" I appreciate that input.

19. HDtallrider

Haha! You may as well tear up the junk stuff first. While your learning how it handles, start getting your upgrade together. It will probably take a little while to ship anyway. I have the build disease so bad that I have 4 of them in various stages of construction! Pitiful. The only things I have flying are 2 plastic RTF's.
    Oh well. I'm havin' fun!!! Cheers

20. Thereverend

Thereverend Member