Lookout!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tentoes, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Tentoes

Tentoes Well-Known Member

Now you have me in your forum.

I'm an unemployed software and electronics dude (or maybe dud) who plays with trains. I used to be an R/C airplane and helicopter flier. I've had tiny and nearly useless quadcopters for years. Somebody gave me a Propel Tilt for Christmas. Flies nice! Easier than the little ones. Having fun with the video.

Quadcopter History:

Estes ProtoX
    Some cute toy that flew well
    Propel "Air"
    Propel "X01"
    Propel "Tilt"

I still have and enjoy all the Propel quads.

I thought I participated in this forum before, but it doesn't seem to know any of my email addresses.

Spork and ArmyVet like this.
  2. Tentoes

Weather (and the flu) haven't been conducive to barefoot idiots outside, so I'm stuck inside with my two micro drones.

Rick M likes this.
  3. Tentoes

I edited together some clips from the day after the other video. Was not one of my best days out :D

4. Tentoes

I came out of hibernation for a while and got my quad into the air yesterday for a few minutes.

Spork likes this.
  5. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

:rolleyes: ... I've lived in Tulsa and Breckenridge Oklahoma before ... To help with "muscle memory" AND developing skills, as well as disorientation,
    I suggest a good simulator that uses your radio as the controller.
    Both "FPV Freerider" (not bad) and "Liftoff" (much better) are excellent ways to gain valuable practice and skills without
    the constraints of ... a.) battery flight times ... b.) crashing (just press the reset button) ... c.) weather
    You get to fly non-stop for as long as you'd like in the comfort of your home without breaking anything ... it's a win-win situation ... ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  6. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Atleast you got out there. Too dam cold & windy here. 70mph winds here yesterday about 30-40 today & 4°

7. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Welcome to the forum. Is part of your backyard a train setup? It looked like it in the videos. I'd love to see more of your train setup the next time you do video.

8. Tentoes

Might have nice enough weather to get out for a while today. Was oddly gusty the other day and after a couple mishaps, I went back in.

The train layout is quite extensive, and we were doing some major rework when the owner got sick last summer. He's doing better now. I'm his train helper and live in to help him out. We're looking forward to spring, which comes early in Oklahoma, but he's decided that '18 will be his last summer in trains, though he's hoping to go out with a couple big events.

There are some train videos in my youtube channel. "Torby4019" (Years ago, Youtube wouldn't take "Torby" as a name, and 4019 is the number on my big showoff train loco.)

Spork likes this.
  9. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Thanks, that snowplow and the waterfall/river combo was pretty cool. I've never had a desire to mess with model trains, but I absolutely love watching them and appreciating the detail builders put into their layouts. My wife's dad is into trains with a big layout on his second floor. Next time I'm over there I'll be sure to mention expanding into the yard, mostly because it will get a rise out of the mother-in-law.

10. Tentoes

Thought I'd try getting some good shots of the train garden. A light breeze was blowing. I went into the middle of the older section, when the wind picked up. Should have landed. I turned around and tried to get low. Now the wind was really blowing. "Ok, get above all these bushes and trees then set down in the open yard.

To get myself out of the midst of the train garden, I had to glance away from the drone a moment. BLASTING WIND.

It's now out over "Calvin's." Bring it back. Nope. Wind picked up again. Panic time. Push the "Auto Land" button. Nothing. Shove the left stick all the way down. DOWN! Nope. Going farther and faster and farther and...

I now don't have a Propel Tilt.

Drove around for an hour or so in the direction it went out over woods, brush and open country hoping to pick up the wifi signal.

11. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Aww, that sucks, Tentoes, sorry to hear about losing your quad.

12. Tentoes

Took a walk thinking perhaps it didn't go as far as I thought. Frightened the neighborhood watch people 'cause I was barefoot. Here's a tip: Most burglars wear shoes.

Spork likes this.
  13. Tentoes

Luck! It's not found, but the gift-giver bought the "insurance," and fly-away is covered.

So, if the wind is getting bad and you're having trouble, LAND NOW, don't worry about flying into a clear space, just land. A crash is better than a fly-a-way.

Rick M and Spork like this.
  14. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

That's great news, Ten. Glad to hear that. I felt a little bad since I asked for the train video.

And yes, that is great advice. I've been trying to get my son to learn that, but he "knows everything" so instead he keeps it at full throttle and crashes it into trees and onto the neighbor's roof.