Lipo`s how to charge and look after

Discussion in 'Newb Guides' started by holtneil, Apr 18, 2015.

1. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi a lipo is light easy to carry and will power a 12v monitor for a good hour or more depending on MAH , I would use the 1500 just for the quad and buy a battery just for the monitor , this may interest you too some guys buy a 5000 mah 4 cell to just power the charger at the field , your need to check what the max voltage input is for the DC side of the charger
    you may be able to use a power bank but your need to check spec of monitor and power bank

2. Altsickeness

Altsickeness Quad Addict

Makes sense. I'm probably over thinking it.

3. Gramps

Gramps Well-Known Member

Why not just power the charger off the car battery?

4. holtneil

Hi if your a long way from your car ,carrying a spare car battery to the fly site is over kill and heavy

5. philisweatly

philisweatly Well-Known Member

You will want at least 4 batteries for your quad. You are not gonna want to fly for 7 minutes then wait another hour and half to fly again, haha. Lipos are used in monitors either external or internal so since yours is external it is just another lipo you have to worry about. You don't need to buy the same type of battery for your monitor though as you do your quad. You don't need a high C rating on the lipo for your monitor. Just get an inexpensive 1000-1300 mAh lipo with a low discharge, 1C is just fine. I ordered a few of these and I really love them and they are not very expensive. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11903

6. Altsickeness

Altsickeness Quad Addict

Very true. I plan on 4 batteries just for flying. I had a mess with my controller that appears to be fixed so next task is finding a batt for the monitor.

I got my imax today! Charged two batts with it. No lipo sack yet so I made a steel fortress with to large auto brake rotors, ha ha !

7. holtneil

Sounds good try and charge at C1 some batteries will take more but it will reduce the life of the battery if your battery is a 1500mah C1 = 1.5 amps

Altsickeness likes this.
  8. Altsickeness

Altsickeness Quad Addict

To do a balance charge, the charger needs the four pin connecter hooked up. Do gou guys make extention harnesses to hook up the charger outside the lipo sack. Also i bought a balance board and some t60(?) connecters thinking i would make harnesses to the board but it appears the balnace charge wont work thst way without both batt connecters hooked up.

Update- Sometimes i post before i do the research.... Sorry. It appears the board comes with the harness and looks like i hook all the batteries to the board and put the batteries and the board in the sack with charger on the outside. I apologize, because i think you might have already told me that. Im posting before even seeing some of this stuff and figuring it out.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  9. holtneil

Hi as your batteries grow you may have to up the max amps in the charger setting this is a fail safe in the charger unit ,it's to stop you cooking a battery but as your charging 4 at a time some times you need to go over this , to 're cap always balance charge if you have the time it's slower if you just want to have one last quick flight use the fast charge still at C1 it will charge to about 90% which will give you a flight ,never leave the batteries fully charged for over a week it will damage the batteries put them on store charge ,what most of us do is fly so that when you land the battery is resting at 3.7 volts a cell ( this is the storage rate for a lipo) only recharge if your flying again

GJH105775 likes this.
  10. Diven

Diven Active Member

Thank you for share. I have bought a Tattu 5000mah 3s lipo battery, I don't know how to look after it , I often run out of battery, so I found its use time is shorter and shorter. Now I need change a new battery to replace the old one .

11. holtneil

Hi mate to look after the lipo never discharge below 3.2 volts per cell buy a voltage alarm they are very cheap and just plug into the balance lead of the battery set the voltage to 3.4 volts this will give you time to land
    as for charging try not to charge over its max C rate , some batteries can charge at 5 x there C rate , but I cant find what max is so charge at 5 amps, do a balance charge the lipo will love you for this , in the winter keep at a store charge of 3.7v a cell a good lipo charger of 80 watt or more this will charge faster
    I use a 400 watt and it does 2 4000mah in 30 mins or 4 x3000mah is 45 mins

12. Naveen

Naveen Member

Guys can any one suggest what should be the configuration of battery to be used.. I am running 2212/10t 1400kv motor with 30amp esc and using kk board as flight controller earlier I had used 25 2200mah lipo but it failed to run my quad it would shift to fail safe mode at 25 % throttle
    I am bit new to this hobby plzzzz suggest

13. holtneil

Hi mate I run 2200 mah on my Tricopter with no problems ,if you jump to a 4 cell the ESCs will be ok and so will the KK , but the motor may over rev and get hot
    2200 on a 1400kv at max rpm is 15,400 rpm on a 4 cell its 20,720
    It may just be the battery thats worn out it holds the charge but cant give out the amps , so the 2200 are cheap just buy one and try it , depending on your set up you may be able to 2 x 2200 which will give you 4400 mah this will up the flight times , the other way is get a multirotor battery from Hobby king they will do a 3 cell up to 5200 mah
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-3s-5200mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html

Naveen likes this.
  14. Naveen

Naveen Member

Thanks for the reply can you tell me what is the maximum current that A2212,1400kv motor would take at the full throttle

15. holtneil

Hi most multi rotor are OK on a 20c battery the higher c rate will give you more punch .the high amp pull is only for a milli second as the motor pulls the prop up to speed
    Higher c rate battery will weigh more than the low they will also cost more may be one of the guys that race will give you a good c rate to work on

Naveen likes this.
  16. loshjott

loshjott New Member

Extreme newbie here and please excuse cross posting of questions. I just got an inductrix blade and four replacement crazepony 200 mah 3.7v batteries. Using the small charger that came with the quad. Looking for advice on a charger and better batteries. Two already seem to have permanently lost their charge. I'm obviously not doing something right. Thanks much!

17. holtneil

Hi mate can you post a photo of the battery so we can see the plug ,the battery is a single cell so you cant balance charge one cell , but a good 4 button lipo charger will charge them with the right leads you dont need a mega charger 50/80 watts will be more than enough , also do you want a DC charger and add a power pack or an AC/DC so will plug in to a wall socket

18. loshjott

loshjott New Member

IMG_2333.JPG
    Thanks for the advice. Here is the battery. AC/DC charger preferred.