Is it ok to use a 3S battery in a Global Drone X183 (X6 Follower) drone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craig Johnson, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson Member

Just what the subject line asks...does anybody know if it's kosher to use a 3S battery (11.10 volts) in a Global Drone X183 (X6 Follower) that comes with a 2S (7.40 volts) battery?

I have found one (1) video on YouTube that appears to indicate that it's alright, but I'd like to read it from an expert who may be able to furnish a good answer before I actually attempt this on my drone.

Thank you in advance!!! [​IMG]

2. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

If it was me no I would not you can over power the FCB over power the motors ,if it's more flight time just up the MAH of the battery

Jackson likes this.
  3. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

Agree if capacity is the issue just increase mAh in the batteries but can be bad as well at some point weight overcomes thrust (trading agility/acceleration for hover time). If you want to know if it's safe to run higher voltage you'd need to check component by component to make sure they are all rated for that voltage or you're likely to fry something or with MCUs have the clock running at the wrong rate. You can check linear regulator data sheets since typically they're at the input point for battery power to get 5V and or 3.3V for ICs but the ESCs also need to have mosfets and capacitors rated to handle the voltage.

4. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson Member

Thank you all for your valuable input! :D
    I think I'll keep my drone safe from overvolt and NOT install that 3S flight battery. :)