I have a few questions about motor cables

Discussion in 'First Build' started by Zexesy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Zexesy

Zexesy Member

1. Can I get some extension cables? My motors cables are not long enough for the ESC to also be connected to the PDB and flight controller.

2. Which locations on the ESC do these motor cables mount up to? Mine are all black.

Here's a photo for refrence https://imgur.com/a/g4sRq

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Before I offer any advice, where do you intend to mount the ESCs, and what frame are you using? Should be fairly straightforward to wire this up, but I hope you have some soldering skills

3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Buy a set of 12 either male/female bullet connectors to match. & 12ft of 18Awg or 20 gauge stranded, silicone coated wire.
    84f8942159d0d43bbf8590bf189915a748155e7b-768x1064.jpg
    Where the wires are crossed to change motor direction, if needed. But depending on what esc you have, it can be changed in bl-heli. So you don't have to worry anymore actual motor direction.

Zexesy likes this.
  4. Zexesy

Zexesy Member

On the frame

5. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

the 3 motor wires get soldered to the 3 pads on the ESCs. As Moz said it doesn't matter which pads, you can change the direction later

If you're mounting the ESCs on the frame, you'll have to extend the motor wires to reach the ESCs. Personally, I'd just chop the bullet connectors off the motor wires and solder the extensions on directly.

Your ESC servo leads may be long enough to reach your flight controller, but if not, they're a dime a dozen

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/servo-extension-cable

6. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

"Bullet connectors ? We dun need no stinkin bullet connectors !" ... (Treasure of the Sierra Madre) :p
    If you're going to hafta solder, and you will, then (imho) just go straight wire to wire (or pad) for the most solid connection and with less weight.
    I don't ever even bother with connectors on anything that's not getting frequently detached/reattached like the battery. :cool: