How to control multiple drones at once?

Discussion in 'Experimentation' started by Roshi, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

After watching Intel's video (hadn't seen it before responding earlier) it's obvious that they've incorporated a sophisticated three dimensional matrices manipulation
    controlling the quads to create the graphics. This is some seriously mind numbing mathematics that would require not only being well versed in vector algebra, calculus,
    and matrix math but also some really serious programming prowess too. Of course, being Intel, they have no shortage of such resources but good luck trying to emulate
    what they've accomplished in even a rudimentary sense :p

Here's a video snippet of some simple matrices manipulations for plotting two dimensional positional coordinates for your amusement:
    https://www.khanacademy.org/math/pr...ransformations/v/transforming-position-vector

I am just savvy enough regarding such matters to realize it's more of a challenge than I'd care to take on, but there IS a guy in here who I'm betting is up to the task or at least
    would be a tremendous help. He's a somewhat eccentric but rather brilliant chap who goes by the name of Yay .... Poke around in these forums and, upon finding him, ask his
    opinion regarding your project. He's new to flying quads but has both the programming and mathematical acumen to be a great resource to avail yourself of ;)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    GJH105775 likes this.
  2. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

I agree that what they did was nothing short of mathmagical, however their implementation was much more than just controlling multiple to move in a predetermined direction. They also generated the paths and made it look like something a living swarm with a hive mind would produce.

In the simplest form you would just need to command multiple vehicles and unless they need tight formations or hive mind look to them. It is more of a networking problem until you add the magic-math to do those complex formations intel accomplished with several of the brightest minds.

3. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

I agree that what they did was nothing short of mathmagical, however their implementation was much more than just controlling multiple to move in a predetermined direction. They also generated the paths and made it look like something a living swarm with a hive mind would produce.

In the simplest form you would just need to command multiple vehicles and unless they need tight formations or hive mind look to them. It is more of a networking problem until you add the magic-math to do those complex formations intel accomplished with several of the brightest minds.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  4. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

Yep, I understand enough about what they did to realize I'm not going to try it myself ... lol ... :p

GJH105775 likes this.
  5. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

There are other issues to be addressed, not related to collision-avoidance in an airborne formation. You mention for example, surveying crime scenes. I don't know where you are, but in the US, the courts have been very specific and restrictive, as to when, where, how, and why video suveillance (electronic in particular) can be implimenred not only by police, but by non-law enforcement persons. To the point that both criminal as well as civil statutes have been inacted to restrict such activities. Levyong stiff fines and prison sentences for violations. As there is a "reasonable expectation of privacy". IE: If I put up an eight-foot privacy fence around my backyard so that my wife can lay out and sunbath. You don't get to violate that by flying a drone at thirty feet up with a camera pointed at my yard to record her doing that, by claiming: "crime scene documentation". Have any governmental agencies expressed interest in your project? You need to define the prameters regarding the overall scope of what the end user will want.

6. Roshi

Roshi Member

This was simply an idea i had and I would offer it to anyone interested in it. I was going to utilize the existing swarm technology myself but can't find many commercial technologies out there. I would prefer not to use meshing modules or LTE networks. Also want to make this fleet controlling device compatible with DJI products

The concept GJH was explaining is exactly what i'm looking for.. Am going to try to DIY but will definitely need some help. Have not had to much time to go online will get back to this post again asap