How long from nothing to racing quads?

Discussion in 'Mini Quads & Racing' started by Ede, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Ede

Ede Member

I saw a couple of videos from CHARPU with racing quads on YouTube and this looks like a lot of fun. So somehow I had this idea I want to be able to do the same. Let’s buy a racing quad and let’s go. Obviously it will be necessary to learn to fly these things. When Charpu is flying he talks with people and races and it doesn’t look too difficult. But after reading lots of articles in this forum and on other sites I realize that it will take a long time to learn to fly one of these racers. Maybe it’s like looking Efren playing pool. It looks like it’s easy for him but he is one of the world’s best players and there is a reason why he is called The Magician. Maybe it’s similar with Charpu and drone racing?

Now my question: What is your experience how long you or others had to learn to be able to fly a racing quad? I think about a level were the pilot is able to fly a racing quad and keep it on course without crashing all the time. Are we talking about weeks or months or years? What is your experience?

Mark percy and Jimmy-Dan Conners like this.
  2. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

All depends on how often, and how much you fly. I have been flying for 11 months and my 250 lost 2 props the last time I flew it lol.

Learn to fly los, and then learn to fly fpv.

20 hours for each los and fpv will get you to a comfortable position.

What do others think?

Jackson likes this.
  3. RGJameson

RGJameson Hanging in there...

Just like anything in life, some can do things others can't and there is more to it than just practicing.

mozquito1 likes this.
  4. Cale262

Cale262 Well-Known Member

I'm shooting for six weeks or eight beer...whichever come first ;)

RGJameson likes this.
  5. Jimmy-Dan Conners

Jimmy-Dan Conners Running JJRD H8D Quadcopter

Im in your boat @Ede . My boss just gave me a in-progress build on a 250 racer. I've already lost 6 props just trying to hover it. It's going to take me a while to get it.

6. Ede

Ede Member

KentA, Jimmy-Dan Conners and Cale262 like this.
  7. Cale262

@Ede, So far the eight beers has come and gone, In that time period I've flown almost a hundred packs but the only racing I've done is the race to break parts...maybe I should slow down on the beer :p

8. RGJameson

RGJameson Hanging in there...

Maybe you need the right beer. :)

Jackson likes this.
  9. Cale262

Maybe I should lay off the beer completely, my system always burned hotter on Scotch:cool:

<edit> Where'd that video come from??? LOL, wasn't there when I initially responded.

10. Mark percy

Mark percy New Member

Hi I'm new here iv been learning to fly with a jjrc h8c and I am flying it confidently at 100% power.
    For Christmas santa (my misses) brought me a walkera runner 250 :).
    However on the maiden flight the power and speed difference meant that I was walking through a horses field after it shot away from me like a rocket.
    So my advice for new racers, as a new racer is slow and steady...............at first of course.

11. mozquito1

mozquito1 Summer's over, where's my thumbless gloves

6 hours of LOS, 2 minutes of fpv & your good to go. You may be last but it's racing, ain't it. ;)

12. KentA

KentA Member

I've been flying racing quads for 32 years & still haven't got the hang of it. (burp)

13. mozquito1

Wise guy eh, nyuck nyuck. BURP

14. KentA

KentA Member

OK Everybody! I don't care what she said, I'm not your father!

15. mozquito1

Hey fellas, what's cooking? It's me!
    Woo woo woo woo woo. :eek: