Houses that will sadly fall of the cliff into the ocean

Discussion in 'Flight Videos' started by photojunky, Mar 30, 2018.

1. photojunky

photojunky Well-Known Member

This was shot with a phantom 3 pro in two fifteen minutes flights. I am sure when they built these complexes they had no idea they'd last less than 50 years.

Torc the Sinister and KentA like this.
  2. roger jones

roger jones Well-Known Member

Same problem on the east coast of the UK where we are giving in to the sea. Unless it is high value it is not considered cost effective to save.
    Easy to say I appreciate and not what you want to hear if you live on the coast. But unfortunately the only real practical option.

mozquito1 likes this.
  3. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Same thing happened along Lake Michigan by the Indiana dunes.

4. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

I saw it happen in Missouri along the Meramac river. Funny thing about the Meramac, it is a small river the size of a creek until it rains, then it swells to the size of the Mississippi.

I believe levees upstream and the removal of natural wetlands are to blame.

Jackson likes this.
  5. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Nowhere is that more evident than in New Orleans.

dragger201 likes this.
  6. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

Location, Location, Location.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  7. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

There are a lot of expensive homes on a cliff at a big lake around an hour from me. A few years ago, a couples multi-million dollar home started falling into the lake and the authorities condemned it and preemptively demolished it to prevent it from causing future safety problems. Unfortunately, their insurance didn't cover earth movement - so it was a total loss.

8. photojunky

photojunky Well-Known Member

It really is amazing how fast these Cliffs have deteriorated. Although I have to say, the view is so beautiful I probably would rent but would never buy. About 3 miles north of this location I looked at homes to buy approximately 15 years ago in Daly City. Some of the backyards ended at the cliff line only 30 feet from the homes. No thank you. I may go for a flight over these houses in the next couple of weeks.

KentA and Spork like this.
  9. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Apparently, so the tin hat ppl say that some of it is down to the removal of sand out off the coast for building use or whatever, computer chips, glass,
    It's a viable explanation in some areas.
    It looks like the sea is rising but the sand is slowly sinking to replace what is taken. Also natural geology can cause it.