Hi!! Noob here, help please!! I need some advice about motor choice.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Chance, May 28, 2018.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

Hi!! Everyone I need some advice

We are building a f450 quad can someone suggest a good motor/propeller for it we're trying to achieve the longest flight time using a 5000mah 3s battery why this batt. its because it's the only one we can get for a reasonable price here in our country we estimated the quad's total weight to be around 1250 to 1400grams. I have a racestar 2212 1400kv motors here from our first failed attempt hahaha!! yes it is powerful but It's too power hungry so please any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. BL Swagger

BL Swagger Well-Known Member

3. Chance_Ichi

Chance_Ichi Member

Hi! This is me the guy that posted this I can't reply to that account because I used my Facebook to login and the email I used there doesn't exist anymore

Thanks for your response :):)

I looked at the motors that you suggested and according to the chart it gives 708grams of force at 9045 props will this be enough for my quad

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

You want a 2:1 lift ratio so 708 X 4 = 2832g. With a 1400g craft this is very close

5. BL Swagger

Lower KV will be even better.

Maybe you can clear something up for me as well since were on the topic.. using these 810KV motors as an example, is the load current provided in the description for one motor or all four? If it is for one, I would imagine the ESC would become the limiting factor if not above 40A.

(Load current is roughly 13-16A depending on props, according to the chart provide in item description)

6. Chance_Ichi

Chance_Ichi Member

Can you explain why lower kV is better?

7. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

https://ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.php

Lower kv is typically more efficient than high kv. This is why you see 8s with low kv motors on large filming drones. The goal is to stay in the air as long as possible when flying with a camera.

Chance_Ichi and BL Swagger like this.
  8. Chance_Ichi

Chance_Ichi Member

Which one is better Racerstar 2312 960kv or this Racerstar 2216 810kv I think we need more thrust because that battery we are going to use is more heavier than expected so the final weight of the drone 1500g and we don't want to go heavier than that

Sorry for the stupid questions we really don't want to waste time and money for parts shipping fees here are ridiculously high

9. BL Swagger

Racerstar has all sort of options. Those 810kv I provided as an example for a question will work better for your case. What esc are you using? (20, 30, 40amps?)

The trend is lower KV, bigger quad.

10. Chance_Ichi

Chance_Ichi Member

Sorry for the late reply I'm using a 30amp ESC.

11. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Bit late with this but at a price you don't mind shelling out for if you kill one.
    I like my RS2205(S) still...

12. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Seems under propped to me, seeing as they are only pulling 10.6A. Some 1045s should provide more thrust.

13. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

14. Chance_Ichi

Chance_Ichi Member

Hey!!! Guys Thanks for your responses:):)

I think this is my last question, Hopefully

Before I order this Racerstar 810kv motor I want to know how much will the thrust decrease if I use a 1045 props the charts says 832g on 1147 props?

15. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Don't use the 1045s on the 810kvs.

16. Chance_Ichi

Chance_Ichi Member

Sir. Can you explain why?