Help Needed

Discussion in 'FPV Systems' started by Tony Volante, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Tony Volante

Tony Volante New Member

Hi All,
    I bought the Syma X8HG for two reasons, A: It was within my budget and B: Its 8mp camera. Most low cost drones have crap cameras. The camera holder can also take my GoPro (added bonus). The drone can (supposedly) give you FPV via your smart phone. I say supposedly because, although I have downloaded just about very single Syma App there is, none of them will conect to the drone for FPV !
    I presume that, like very other WiFi piece for equipment, the drone should show up on my Android smart phone in the Settings/WiFi section, IT DOES NOT ? So, as it is not there, and I cannot connect to it, the apps will not work. Anyone know what I am doing wrong ? Bye the way, I do have other WiFi equipment which does connect to my phone with no problems.
    Best wishes for 2018.
    Tony Volante

2. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

Hey Tony...........hate to be the bearer of bad news. The X8HG does not do FPV. You need a standalone system of one form or another. This is how I did it. In a hurry and kinda slap-dash, but it works.

20170915_065703small.jpg

3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Somthing along the lines of this 234-586-large-800x800.jpg
    Or one of these 1-2-800x800.jpg
    Or this but it wall draw anywhere from 5-24v depending on what you buy.
    I have a TBS Greenhorn that runs on 5v @ 25mw (legal) I have a vtx03 5v @200mw
    Illegal. Also a TS5828S & TS5828L that run off 12v  :confused: fxt-fx806t-25mw-big-1-800x800.jpg

Attached Files:

dragger201 likes this.
  4. mozquito1

Sorry I misread the last bit of the OP.
    To use the phone you will need a WiFi enabled module like a runcam split's
    This
    f209f0b0-85a1-45b1-b951-0db3d0ac7145-1024x1024.jpg
    But yo would have to attach a camera & supply power to it. $7 on bang good.
    Does your gopro do WiFi.
    What Quadcopter do you have.
    5.8ghz Vrx & Vtx kits are really cheap now combined with some quanum V2.
    A complete fpv kit for less than $50.

5. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Dragger has it right. Consider an Eachine TX03 (you can adjust the power output of the video transmission from 25 to 200 milli-watts) and a nice cheap 3.7 volt LiPo battery, both velcro'd on top. The good news is the X8HG will give you quite credible photos and video if you fly it smoothly. Add an affordable set of goggles and you have the best of both worlds: a camera bird you can fly FPV at a reasonable distance.

dragger201 likes this.
  6. mozquito1

Vtx03 = 5v
    I use em.
    As they output 5v for camera.

7. mozquito1

WiFi is no good for fpv unless you have some groovy antenna. Around the house is about it or the equivalent. Plus latency.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  8. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

:rolleyes: ..... Yep, what Moz says ... WiFi has terrible range AND terrible latency (takes too long of a time between what's going on in the "real world" and
    what you're seeing in the picture). Fly more than a short distance away and you're blind. Fly too fast and you hit something before you even see it. ;)

dragger201 likes this.