Hello from Melbourne Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Steve B, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Steve B

Steve B New Member

Hi, I purchased a Syma X5c clone for my first drone last week. While seriously nothing special it flies steady and it is inexpensive enough that if I destroy it learning to fly no harm done. I eventually would like to have a freestlye drone with all the cool other bits like some nice goggles etc.

At this stage though I am still learning basic flying (can drain a battery without crashing already huzzah!) and I am having a go at adding a few mods to the drone.

I have 3d printed a camera mount that tilts it on a 10 degree upward angle to improve the filming and FVP characteristics. (only flying LOS at the moment), I have just added a longer antenna to get the best range out of the 2.4Ghz transmitter and will replace the battery and camera shortly.

I have also added a high vis paint scheme that is also designed to help me see orientation in flight.

Anyways I am having fun and looking forward to getting into a new hobby. I have also started learning electronics which while useful for this is also fascinating on its own.

dronepaint.jpg

2. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Welcome to the forum!

3. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

Congratulations Mate!
    Welcome and have fun!

4. Steve B

Steve B New Member

Cheers! Tested the new transmitter antenna. 111m before I freaked out and landed it because I was having trouble seeing the quad. Very happy with that! :)

ArmyVet and Rick M like this.
  5. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

111m is pretty good range for that quad with no major modifications. Throw an AIO fpv camera on or in it and you're off to a start with FPV flying. The Eachine TX03 is pretty cheap and you can set it at 50mw which should give you all the range you can trust the Tx with.

6. Steve B

Steve B New Member

It comes with a camera that transmits real time but the resolution is about 360p. It also came with a set of box 'goggles' your phone slides into for FVP. Not bad for $60 AUD. Of course the quality of the items are entry level for that price though.
    Once I have reached the limits of what I can do with this drone I am just going to invest in some very very nice gear. I essentially have an unlimited budget for this hobby (well about $20K a year), I just need to get my experience level to the point it justifies the spend.
    I also think by mad maxing up my first drones I will learn lots of additional knowledge that will be useful once I have the better gear. Finally, I dont want to be 'that guy' who turns up with more dollars than sense.

I have bought two other drones though. One cheap little one for indoors I have gutted already and am going to place the parts in a 3d printed frame I will design. I also have a 'proper' racing drone from jaycar called a raptor. That one I dont fly though as it screams along and is far too fast for my skill level.

7. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

Gulp 20K!

8. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome (I'm new here too but I got here before you so I get to say welcome :) ). Suggest getting a good transmitter and grab one or more of the simulators (free or cheap for the Sim software just cost in the transmitter but you can use it for a ton of quads or other rc stuff). Check out fpv freerider (Josh Bardwell does good incremental vids on getting used to fpv with that one) or grab velocidrone or one of the others. Getting time practicing acro mode in the Sim improved my skill more in a couple of weeks than I had improved in the year or more before the Sim.

Also you'll only need about $500 for the quad and about another $500 in goggles and other fpv gear if you go relatively high end. According to my calculations that means you have $19k a year you can give me and you'll still get a new setup every year ;)

Rick M and ArmyVet like this.
  9. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Seems that the bottoms need it more than the tops. :)

Welcome