FPV setup help needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KentA, Apr 13, 2018.

1. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

I just received a cheap wifi headset to explore FPV flying, & have a lot to learn. The phone’s screen displays a single image, & when viewed through the headset the left eye has a different view than the right eye & they get confused in my brain. I can sort it out by closing either eye to see ½ the field, but even then it appears like I’m looking through a screen door.

What do I need to do?

Here’s the stuff:

> Phone: Android, Samsung Galaxy J3 Sky

> Headset: ETVR 3D Virtual Reality Headset For 3D Movies and VR Games https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IPEUIBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

> Quad: SYMA X22W using their SYMA GO app.

2. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

The first step is to download the cardboard app from the playstore which will split the phone's screen into two seperate images.
    The "screen door" effect (and how badly that appears) is a function of the phone's resolution. You want the highest pixel density
    possible to minimize that effect, so jack up the settings on the phone's display to the max.

I use a Galaxy Note 5 (which has a killer display) and still get that effect with it set to 2560x1080.
    The lowest "HD" is 1280x720, then 1920x1080 (FHD) and finally WQHD which is what I use. :cool:

Make sure your screen is set to it's max resolution of 1280x720 and the "screen door" effect is what it is for that phone. ;)

KentA likes this.
  3. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

Thanks Gyro Doc.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  4. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

When I tried to download Cardboard, Google Play advised me that my "device isn't compatible with this version".

Is there an alternative to purchasing another phone, or do need to consider a 5.8g camera / headset? That seems to be a lot more expensive than a failed $12.95 experiment with wifi.

5. Gyro Doctor

Try downloading and using the "Syma Go" app then. I know it works for the X21W so it will likely also work with your X22W.
    That app, aside from offering to control the quad via the phone, has an FPV function too. Pulling up on the little arrow at the bottom
    center of screen opens a menu, at the far left of that is a button for open viewing for the screen display of the phone or for goggles use.
    THAT will should give you the "split screen" function you're looking for. ;)

KentA likes this.
  6. Jeff Neese

Jeff Neese Well-Known Member

You aren't going to be able to fly it FPV, through WiFi. Too much lag. The videos you see of people flying FPV are a different system and operates at 5.8g. With Wifi and a phone, you'll hit the tree before you even see it in the goggles.

7. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

Thanks for trying to cure my ailments Doc, but I can only get a single, clear picture with SymaGo that is incompatible with goggles. Apparently the Samsung Galaxy J3 is the wrong phone for this endeavor as it will not allow the screen to split. The gear does work well when the phone is mounted on the controller but not when goggles are thrown into the mix.

I guess I'll have to fly the Syma exactly like I fly the beloved Autel X-Star, but I did want to taste the goggle experience on a low budget adaptation before committing to 5.8g cameras & goggles. I wear reading glasses so I kind of wanted to try before I buy.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Gyro Doctor likes this.
  8. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

there are a few googles that have corrective lenses that slide in. Only a few options of lenses though.

KentA likes this.
  9. Gyro Doctor

o_O ... Did you not find the red button in the bottom left hand corner of the GO app that has a symbol of a phone screen and some goggles?
    That is what will format the pic into a split screen. It's not a matter of the phone being compatible or not because it's only being used
    as a display screen and will present what ever is being fed to it in whatever format it's presented (split screen vs full screen).
    In other words, if it's working in full screen mode then it will definitely also work in split screen mode. ;)

It's true that any WiFi feed is almost impractical for FPV flying due to the lag encountered, but it will give you a taste of what it's like
    and, should you decide to invest further, you can then buy a camera, VTX, VTR, and screen or goggles. :)

10. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

No, I could not find the red button in the bottom left hand corner of the GO app that has a symbol of a phone screen and some goggles.
    SymaGo Screen 2.jpg
    Those ovals with the rectangles & dots in the bottom left cause the joysticks to appear & disappear. The others function as in this diagram:
    SymaGo Screen.jpg

11. Gyro Doctor

:eek: .... Hmmm, well Hell .... sorry about that .... I don't have first hand experience with that app myself and was just going by
    what this guy said (apparently he's an idiot) ... :p

12. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

Well thanks again for trying, Doc. I expected it could work too.

13. Gyro Doctor

It will work !
    I wouldn't give up so easily, all you need to do is find any app that will split screens for you that'll work with your phone.
    There's plenty of them and at least one of them should certainly work for you. Try "GO VR" or "VR Cinema" or "VaR's VR Player".
    They are free, so it's not costing you anything but time and it will be worth it to be able to try the experience before deciding to invest in it.

14. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

OK! cool. I've already started downloading them & try them out tonight!

To be honest, I'm way behind average in digital knowledge. This is my 1st smartphone which I acquired a couple months ago mostly for use with the quads. I have yet to make or receive a call with it. Whenever I try to learn, I get sidetracked trying to define the words common to tech-literate people. There was not a single computer on campus when I was in school, & then I delayed learning this stuff for far too long. I've been struggling to catch up, & the drone experience has been a great motivator.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    roger jones likes this.
  15. Gyro Doctor

When I first started my foray into data processing, in high school, there were no computers either; they just had those cards with
    the holes punched into them. It was called Hollerith code and I got pretty good at knowing what they said just by holding them up
    to the light and deciphering the code mentally. The first actual computer I had couldn't even be hooked up to a screen. There was no
    internet either! My interest continued though throughout college as I spent ridiculous amounts of money riding the ascent in development
    as computers became what they are today. :)

KentA likes this.
  16. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

At our age I realize it's too late for me to catch up. Acronyms are invented faster than I can google them.

I've adopted to a plug & play lifestyle, & can only admire folks who can build their own quads. Fortunately people with your aptitude have developed advanced products for what used to be called the "common man". With a tolerable amount of frustration, I've been able to fly a camera 400' above the swamp & send the movie to my widely distributed kids a few minutes later.

Tonight I'll play with those programs you suggested. Maybe I'll learn to blend the video image from SymaGo into their 2 eyed programs.

Spork and Gyro Doctor like this.
  17. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Spork and KentA like this.
  18. Jeff Neese

Jeff Neese Well-Known Member

KentA likes this.
  19. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

KentA likes this.
  20. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

Well, I returned the cell phone goggles.

The search for an app that would harmonize the Syma, the Samsung Galaxy, & the headset for a lowly WiFi experience almost triggered a drugs & alcohol incident. I did, however, successfully delay purchasing the Eachine EV800D headset & AKK BA3 camera until desire overwhelms my ability to become a responsible adult.

I thank everybody who answered this thread for their guidance.

mozquito1 and Gyro Doctor like this.