FPV range

Discussion in 'FPV Systems' started by Steven Campbell, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Steven Campbell

Steven Campbell Well-Known Member

Getting out and flying, one things I've noticed with the cheap goggles I have, some Furibee goggles till I can order some Aomways when taxes get back in a couple days.

I've noticed that I don't have to go very far before my video starts dropping out, if I read my output correctly, it's at 200mw, and I'm getting dropouts at a bit past 100 yards and such.

Flying over trees, he was doing just fine but I was loosing the feed completely.

Will the Aomways I plan to have ordered by the end of the week help with my reception and such?

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

What mw vtx have you got/using. would expect that off a burnt out 25mw. I use a 200mw for about 3-350m in my park. Not really any fuzz. I am yet to try the tramp out properly.
    But the aomway should get further with a decent vtx.
    Try it on the lowest setting see if it's any better. Location is a big factor aswell as time of day.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  3. Steven Campbell

Stock VTX on a Bfight 210 and a Furibee X215 Pro.

4. Steven Campbell

The Bfight has an Aurora AC ARVTX 200

5. mozquito1

Nothing comes up on Google for that vtx
    If I search furybee 215 they have different vtx. Some 25mw-200mw & some upto 800mw. Have you tried turning it up to the max. I had the EV800, range even with a 200mw was 100m. I still have that 200mw TS5828S & I get quadruple the range maybe further if I wanted using an immersionRC duo.

6. SLFLY

SLFLY Well-Known Member

Have you fitted a Circular Polorized Cloverleaf antenna ?

or are you using the small stock dipole antenna wire that comes fitted to the BFight ? If yes, that's likely to be the cause of poor signal. And depending where it's placed, the frame could be blocking it. I got terrible range on my Bfight with the dipole and i replaced with a cloverleaf antenna which solved the issue.

or try cycling through each different output settings on the VTX's, and do a range on test on each. You might just be on the wrong setting. They can be confusing to program at times.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. Steven Campbell

Replaced it with an RHCP antenna, a basic one to be destroyed in crashes, a circular disk with concave like top.

8. mozquito1

I bought 2 of these
    20170728110652-8201-1024x445.png
    As this thread reminded me so I checked on ebay only to find it has been delivered but not to me. 10 days from guan dong ain't bad, only to be had off in blighty.
    20170728110652-8201-1024x445.png
    IMG_20180114_093726879-1024x575.jpg
    The vtx03 5v 200mw with this antenna I get about 130m maybe more so it should be a vast improvement.

9. Steven Campbell

Is a shorter or longer recommended?

I've just curious about durability as if I end up going out today, it will be only my 3rd time out.

10. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

Shorter may risk getting blocked by the frame, while longer risks getting chopped by the props. You decide ... lol.
    Normally you just want clearance (for radiation of the signal) from the frame and no longer than that, but keep in mind
    that's because most of the time the butt of the quad is going to be sticking up in the air when you're scooting along fast.
    Some folks go as far as having them mounted right on the frame without any stand-off distance at all, but if you're just puttering
    about pretty much level then a bit longer would be better. ;)

Which reminds me, hey Moz, how did you like those axies ? :)

11. mozquito1

The Chinese uxxi I put on my qav-r that's got the 25mw green horn in, was OK at my park bit of snow at the edge IMG_20180306_144921463_HDR-1024x575.jpg But flyable.
    The lumenier axxi I have not tried yet.
    The vtx is a rp sma, the sma has a pin, hence the new vtx & a pigtail. I'm off the weekend so I'm gonna try em all out.
    Mix up with the post & those clovers are down for redelivery today. I have a good selection now to try. I'm still not paying £35 for the tbs triumphs.

12. mozquito1

Yay guangdong post arrived.
    Speaking of yay, what happened to himo_O

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  13. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

o_O ... Dunno, he kinda just fell off the face of the earth ... lol ... spoke with him several times regarding different topics though
    and the guy is actually quite brilliant, but certainly a bit odd too .... funny though how those two conditions often go hand in hand
    don't you think ? :p

mozquito1 likes this.
  14. mozquito1

Just another fad. :rolleyes:

15. Ruby

Ruby Member

what the battery do you use

16. mozquito1

Tattu or nanotech. Trying some overlander out at the moment good upto now.

17. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

Antennas are a lot more important than most people give them credit. I'd grab some polarized antennas if you are in an area where signal multipathing could be an issue. If you had diversity then directional antennas would be a great addition.

18. lebjos

lebjos New Member

I'm just curious, why do some goggles seem to only have one antenna, but others have two (one is a square thing?)