Flips and rolls lol

Discussion in 'Flight Videos' started by Dugdog47, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Dugdog47

Dugdog47 Well-Known Member

Finally decided to flip the switch into acro mode and try some freestyle lol.

wafflejock and Gyro Doctor like this.
  2. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

... After you get those down pat try immelmans and split-S maneuvers, they're fun :D

Dugdog47 likes this.
  3. Dugdog47

That's the plan nothing to do but practice lol as you can see I need it!

4. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

Wish I had some big open area like that near me, pretty much a block away from Chicago here so I tend to stay low and in parks where there aren't people in the field (sometimes tough to find).

Think you might want to play around with your rates and expo values in betaflight some. "Stinger swarm" on YouTube has a good explanation on what he uses and why. The values he uses I adopted and work pretty well, basically end up with granular control in the middle of the sticks and fast snap rolls and flips by fully deflecting/moving the stick to it's endpoints. Essentially you end up with roll and pitch rates of 900+ degrees a second at the edge of the stick so full flips and rolls can happen in 1/3 of a second, then just a matter of learning the timing with your particular setup. I still have to correct probably half the time but adjusting the rates and expo helps a lot with acro.

Torc the Sinister and Dugdog47 like this.
  5. Dugdog47

Yes I'm lucky to have flood plains on the banks of the Maramec river (Maremec is supposedly Native Indian word meaning river of death lol). That whole area can be under water in a matter of minutes! Makes a great place to fly though and it's near an AMA r.c. airfield so UAVs are expected in the area lol.

I know that wizard needs a tune, I noticed after a simple roll the nose will veer left and a flip combined with a roll causes the nose to veer off. Funny my GT 200 doesn't have that problem at all and I've barely adjusted any rates.

Thanks for the video I'll check it out.

wafflejock likes this.
  6. wafflejock

What a comforting name for a river. Would make sure to water proof your electronics as best you can too given the instant flood possibility, corrosion-x works pretty well but you can't put it on everything (pretty sure can mess up ESCs so need to just seal those up best you can).

There's actually a flying field out here called Schiller model air field that isn't too far from me but I just signed up for AMA like a month ago (should have done it sooner but was pretty broke). I'll get out there one of these days, but have to convince my buddy who just got into the hobby to sign up for AMA too, don't want to get kicked out of the field our first day out.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  7. Dugdog47

There is not a year that goes by without at least 5 people drowning in that river hence the nickname. It can look calm on the surface but have a very fast undertow that will suck you down. Folks from the city never learn.

The AMA field near me has regular quad meets but I have yet to attend although it sounds fun and it would be cool to meet some other quadcopter enthusiasts like myself. Gotta get up there some Saturday lol.

8. Dugdog47

Okay I had to Google immelmans and split S just to make sure I knew what they were and oh yeah I'm sure I can do those with some practice of course lol.:cool:

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  9. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

I'm sure you will ;)
    They're not that hard with some practice (at height, without targets), but THEN you hafta do it through gates :eek:
    Having preset spots for entry and/or exit of the maneuver adds not only snap roll control, but also inverted decent and ascent precision too. :cool:

Dugdog47 likes this.
  10. Dugdog47

I like this guy he seems to know his stuff and be able to explain it very well.

Gyro Doctor and wafflejock like this.
  11. wafflejock

Yah he's pretty laid back and knows his stuff, also doesn't hype things as much as most YouTubers, less fluff more his experience.

Gyro Doctor and Dugdog47 like this.
  12. Dugdog47

I set my super rates all on 1000 and added the .20 expo and my GT 200 is flying very nicely in acro mode. In fact I was able to complete my first power loop and immelman although I crashed after several power loops and broke a prop lol, that dang time dilation I didn't notice 9 minutes went by lol.
    I'm working on it though bro expect a video soon lol!

13. Dugdog47

Okay I here is my first power loop and I think I completed an immelman in there once or twice lol. Keep in mind this is only the third time I've flown in acro (air) mode and the wind was having 10-15 mph gusts lol.

Don't know what happened at the end somehow I broke a prop without hitting anything lol. I'm thinking an earlier crash might've weakened the prop that broke and I didn't notice and it gave way on that last power loop lol. Whatever happened it even knocks my camera out of focus. If I didn' know better I would think my quad was hit by a single projected object lol.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  14. Dugdog47

Learning to rip lol:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Torc the Sinister and wafflejock like this.
  15. wafflejock

Nice looking a lot smoother already and some fun dive bombs :) . Really wish I could fly there looks like a nice park and got some trees that look spaced out enough to dodge around. I have one good park by me like that but it's in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood so always afraid to be behind the goggles.

16. Dugdog47

Thanx for watch Waff J yeah that's a nice park for flying, one of my other videos had a bit of tree dancing lol. There were guys there playing frizbee golf right there too.
    I've got one spot that's awesome for flying but it's in crime central so I'll only go there if someone's with me sitting shotgun lol. Going there tonight in fact to try out the wizard with the new super rates and expo for the first time.

wafflejock likes this.
  17. Torc the Sinister

Torc the Sinister Finally in the ranks of the brushless!

Makes me want to go out and get some acro training in.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  18. Dugdog47

I've found that flying in acro mode gives me full control over the quad, not only for doing stunts but just regular forward flight. Once you start using acro mode angle and horizon mode just don't "feel" right anymore.

I will however switch to horizon mode for takeoff and landings though lol.

19. wafflejock

Yah angle mode feels like the thing is fighting me now but I still take off with it on since with just air mode active and acro mode it can freak out when it touches the ground and is vibrating a bit.

Dugdog47 likes this.
  20. Dugdog47

Yeah my new favorite move when you're up high aim for the ground and cut the throttle. Thanx to air mode you still have complete control at zero throttle lol.

wafflejock likes this.