Flight Sims

Discussion in 'Flying' started by DrAbsurd, Jan 28, 2018.

1. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

Just got my first sim (liftoff) and love it. Tree graphics suck from up in the air but come in very clear when close or racing. There are other boards with solid obstacles that are perfect. ie shipping dock. I wish I would have gotten this earlier. Would have saved some stress and money in the field practicing new tricks and trying to get that muscle memory built up. This is perfect for both. Set your pid's and make lots of adjustments to get close to your real set up. Best $20 Ive spent in a while. There is no substitute to using your own controller. Ive yet to hook it up to my FPV goggles but it says it can and will even do it in 3d. Sorry if this is old news but newbies need hit in the head over and over. I watched several vids where they highly recommended it but, Im an idiot and knew better. Ha nope. If your gonna trick fly or race this is so worth it.

dragger201 and Spork like this.
  2. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

Which one you got, Doc??

3. DrAbsurd

Liftoff. I had to get it through steam. its worth setting up a free acct on steam. I hooked it up to my aomway goggles today and it is great. Helps learn to keep your head up and not drift chin to chest. Im going to set up my flying chair, one of those fold out camping chairs, inside and get used to that even. ive already saved $100 on blades and quad parts I guarantee. its fun to see what random stick patterns do without consequences. Its just nice to play around without the fear of loosing money on every crash. Racing is far harder than I expected so this a great tool to getting some of that down before having to walk all over the course picking your quad back up.

dragger201 and Spork like this.
  4. Spork

Spork There is no spoon

Thanks for the review and information, @DrAbsurd - using a sim like this for training is in my plans after I start getting setup for FPV.

DrAbsurd likes this.
  5. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

The Windows hardware requirements are too steep for me.

Check yours before you make the leap.

6. DrAbsurd

Mine ran so laggy i couldnt fly. As I came out of the freeflight screen it had a message saying performace was bad. try changing video settings. once I did that down to something below 1080p it works really well. the less graphics the better obviously so there are tons of maps in this blank minecraft looking style. runs super smooth in that. Its already helped me with my practicing and its good fun when you cant fly for real. I hook my goggles up and everything, graphics look really good in them. The over all feel is very life like. when i first started flying in there I had the exact same problems I had in real life still. Havent gotten to try it out in the real world yet (always have spare motors) but Im pretty sure it will have helped.