First Quadcopter build, am I missing anything?

Discussion in 'First Build' started by Jeremy1123, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Jeremy1123

Jeremy1123 New Member

As the title says, I've never tried building a quadcopter before, but before I buy parts I want to make sure I'm not missing anything because I'm on a budget. I have a frame already, but is everything else I need on this list? Thanks!

• Motors/ESCs/Props
    • Battery
    • Flight Controller
    • Transmitter & Receiver
    • Battery Distribution Board
    • LiPo Battery Charger

2. GlassKnees

GlassKnees Well-Known Member

What kind of quad will this be? Just a basic trainer? Will you land it flat or plan to have some sort of landing gear/skid? Will you need wire/connectors to route power from the distribution board to the ESCs to the motors? No FPV? Do you have motor mounts? How are you going to mount the F.C. to the aircraft? Zip ties for securing ESC's wiring, etc.

One thing you might want to consider besides a monetary budget - think about a weight/power budget. How much will your aircraft weigh? That might help you determine what size motors to get, which in turn will help you select ESC's and props. You're gonna want your motors/props to put out 2x thrust as the weight of your aircraft, preferably at 50% throttle - the total current draw will help you determine flight endurance for the intended battery capacity (mAh) - there are online calculators to help.

mozquito1 likes this.
  3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

XT60, 14-16 gauge battery cable, zip ties, heatshrink, multimeter most importantly