First build. My parts list?

Discussion in 'First Build' started by finalist, Feb 9, 2018.

1. finalist

finalist Member

Hi All,
    I have some novice experience flying and a lot of experience with RC offroad buggies (lip charging, soldering). I'd like to build a race/freestyle quadcopter and have begun sorting through all the products. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the products I've compiled (good, bad, etc). I also really need motor and prop recommendations for the setup.
    Thank YOU!

Frame: Diatone 2018 GT-m5 (the size I want and seems durable)
    Boards: Emax magnum F4 AIO flight controller stack (seems like a good buy for first time builder because it has most of the electronic components and things all fit together well)
    Camera: Runcam Micro sparrow CMOS FPV (Frame above requires micro camera)
    Antenna: Team Blacksheep TBS/VAS 5.8 Triumph set 2 SMA
    Tx: FrSky Taranoos Q X7s Radio
    Goggles: TBD

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Good good good.
    Hello-There-Calender-Picture-800x442.png

3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

You missed a vtx. If it's not in that stack, you should get a tramp hv or TBS with smart audio. Matek do a hv now but not many reviews. & it fits on the stack screws.

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

The Emax stack is awesome and has a vtx & a FRSky rx. I'd just be a little concerned if it will fit the frame. You might want to email Diatone and ask.

5. finalist

finalist Member

Now I’m thinking the Emax Magnum is not the way to go. Drone mesh gives it a poor review and it looks like it doesn’t fit well in the Diatone.

Maybe I’ll go with the Hobbyking stack, but now I’ll need to find a Vtx. The HobbyWing Vtx looks big.

6. RENOV8R

7. finalist

finalist Member

So now I’m thinking I’ll stick with the Emax Magnum AIO stack. It looks so clean and simple for a first build. I just need to confirm it will fit in the correct orientation with the lipo leads coming out the rear.

8. RENOV8R

The Diatone is only a 200mm frame, even if the Magnum stack fits, it'll be quite a challenge for an inexperienced builder. What would I do? I'd go with the Matek F405 AIO Flight Controller and the XRacer Quadrant BLHeli_32 AIO ESC. This way you only have a 2 board stack with lots of options for placing your receiver and vtx.

9. finalist

finalist Member

Thanks,
    Would you mind suggesting a full parts list - Vtx, Rx, etc? I plan on running a FrSky radio.
    One thing that confuses me is some of the YouTube builds I watch the person adds a capacitor while most don’t. I’d rather not, but I don’t know which boards require a capacitor.

10. finalist

finalist Member

Why would the Magnum be a challenge? I ask because it looks (I could easily be wrong) like the easiest FC/ESC electronics to build of all that I’ve seen on the internet. Lots of plug and play with very little soldering wires to small sections of a board that I don’t yet fully understand.

The XRacer Quadrant BLHeli looks like it might hit the Diatone canopy and soldering four ESC together?

11. RENOV8R

After a little research it appears the Magnum stack will fit just fine. It comes with the XM+ receiver which doesn't have SPort telemetry but IMO that's not a deal-breaker. Go for it.

finalist likes this.