First build help

Discussion in 'First Build' started by Kingkev29, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:38 AM.

1. Kingkev29

Kingkev29 New Member

Recently stumbled upon some YouTube guys doing freestyle fpv videos and got hooked.

Looking to get into this hobby. A family member has a cheap premade drone that is fun but flimsy.

I've watched a few build tutorials from Mr steele and his gang.

Now to date I have zero parts.

I'm looking to build one entirely myself, I'm pretty savvy with computer hardware and think I can pull off a successful drone after seeing a few built start to finish.

What parts would you guys recommend?

I'd like to not dump a grand into this yet, but I'd like to make it worth while with speed, durability and flight time.

I already have a GoPro if that's at all relevant. Thanks!

Edit. Through Mr steele I've found a remote control for 130 on Amazon the xq7 I believe.

And he seems to lead to to want to buy the 5 inch alien frame.

Thoughts?

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Summer's over, where's my thumbless gloves

220 frame
    20-40amp esc's
    Omnibus F3 or F4 flight board
    Emax RS2205 S
    Matek pdb

I could list top O the range parts but as it's your first these would get you the buzz required & easily replaceable.

I wouldn't put any fpv gear on it till you have ripped a few battery's. But I'm finding the vtx03 from eachine is better than my TS5828L & TS5828S.
    I prefer box goggles over fatsharks with my immersionRC duo RX. More range than I need.
    Oh a multimeter is a must with continuity test. Saved me a ton of trouble.

3. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Also, if you're not in a hurry you can save probably $30 on the Taranis Q X7 through either Bangood or Gearbest.

4. Loki

Loki Member

Hi there try looking on AliExpress takes around 4weeks delivery but they have a lot of quad parts and the prices are great I’ve probably ordered 100 times and never had any problems give them a look

5. Kingkev29

Kingkev29 New Member

I've been trying to narrow down a website to use.

Ideally I'd like to order a lot of it from one place but still have access to good customer service if something is damaged.

I've seen getfpv as a top contender and banggoods as an iffy choice.

I'm wondering how much these YouTubers like Mr steele and roto riot guys are just pushing equipment that they are compensated by.

6. mozquito1

Someone on YouTube done a latency test on a Qx7 & a cheap i6x. The flysky kicked its behind by 40 milliseconds every test.
    Now range maybe a different thing.
    I don't go beyond a certain boundary.
    Only ever had one drop out on my i6, but lots of tree's so I will give it that.
    I probably go close to 800-1000ft @ the farthest at the golf coarse. It's empty now it's cold but that's just it it's bloody windy & freezing & wet & miserable. Welcome to the UK. & about 500m @ my local park.
    I have seen videos of ppl getting 2miles range with a bog standard fsi6 unmodded. I get decent range on my groundstation. But vtx runs out around 3-400m on my omni & about upto 800m comfortably on the immersionRC spiro & just a bit further on a homemade 7turn helical, which is good for range but I find it's got a narrow beam, not much fun to be had flying down a tube.

7. mozquito1

Hell yeah free gear off manufacturers or your own lines combined with YT revenue, it's a win win. They making a living ppl are happy.
    So who would you rate the best freestyle Mr Steel, tomsmithfpv or nurk. Tom has lost it lately but nurk's train video, dang.
    While Mr Steel nearly turned into pimp my ride
    Best LOS I seen is bexamous.

8. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

It's mostly from the big retailers actually, BG, GB etc. MJX is one of the few manufacturers who provide samples as they actually want and respond to suggestions. But they are selective in their handouts.

9. Kingkev29

Kingkev29 New Member

I don't mind buying the name brand gear if it's tested and worth it. I do name brand on all my PC parts and never have issues.

Also Is there a site out there that will show compatibility kind of like pcpartpicker?

10. mozquito1

Selective enough to never have to buy most parts ever again between all retailers. I got enuf props for abt 3 years of flying. A pack or 2 a week even when not flying. liking the Avan duel blade but the old Dal V2 are still my favourite.
    They probably got the same or more & ain't paid a nickel for em. Kudos to them for editing video & putting all that time in but that's not me. I should, I will make some videos now I'm better. made a few a couple of years ago. Last time I looked, 200 views woo woo. Only mucking about LOS. Videos =freebies
    but I just like to fly & build so no freebies.

11. Kingkev29

Kingkev29 New Member

From looking around it seems 5 inch carbon fiber frames are common among YouTubers, anyone have one they would recommend? I've seen some them vary from 30 bucks to 130

12. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

13. Erpoyo

Erpoyo New Member

Hi,

There are some good videos in Youtube on hoe to build a decent drone for 100€.
    If you really want to get into the hobby and be able to decide your own parts I would recomend using ecalc, just created a video on how to "design" your drone:

Hope this is helpful! ;)

14. mozquito1

If your willing to spend $100 you could have a frame for life, if you buy armattan frames. I like to try different frames so I'm not spending that much when a cheap 20-30 bucks frame flies better.
    Just pick what takes your fancy as long as it's 5mm thick. Stretched X for racing & x frame for acro/freestyle. Try to get shorter standoffs than what come with the frame as these tend to be too long as components are getting smaller, so shorter standoffs lower that centre of gravity enabling flip & rolls much better.
    Whatever you buy you will want to try another when you bust it.