First build eventually

Discussion in 'First Build' started by Steven Campbell, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Steven Campbell

Steven Campbell Well-Known Member

I'm ordering parts here and there based on sales, some to have on hand and others to eventually be used to build my first drone.

Frame I settled on and just ordered is an F1-5.

Motors, for moment I have 2 different sets of replacement motors for drones I have, may use them or another set.

Various parts I'm watching videos and and doing research and ordering parts here and there.

Right now I'm rebuilding my ground station, purchased and assembled my first 3D printer a couple days ago, been printing a good bit, almost through my first 1kg spool.
    Spork and roger jones like this.
  2. Steven Campbell

Things I'm currently looking at:

Bardwell F4 Flight Controller

DALRC 4-in-1 40A 32bit Engine ESC
    (I have ordered some BlHeli S 30a ESC that were a few buck each on sale).

Already ordered a Matek Video Transmitter 5.8G VTX-HV w/ BFCMS Control.

Looking at cameras, not sure what to go with, looking for inexpensive if possible but good quality, size not a big issue for this build, looking possibly at one with built in DVR. OSD capable is a must.

roger jones likes this.
  3. roger jones

roger jones Well-Known Member

Looking forward to following your build.
    Very new to this hobby so no advise from me at this point.
  4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

That bardwell F4 has an osd. The only cam/vtx with a dvr is the runcam split.
    £60. May want toook into latency with that if racing though. What groundstation do you have? I use the IRC Duo 4.1
    I was thinking about a tracking system.
    But I need a new pc first.
  5. Steven Campbell

I dont plan on racing but I would not mind the ability to do some racing.

Ground station is using a FR632, I have a mount to attach it to a tripod alone with some SMA extension cables, 5 meter and I have another mount that attaches to a fiberglass extension painting pole (8-24') for the antennas to the diversity reciever.

From there I am rebuilding my ground station case to be an all in 1 case for ground station and charging.

I'm replacing the SLA battery for some 4S 8000mah batteries. I have a DC to DC converter/stabilizer that will convert/regulate 2-6s batteries to 12v @ 12 amps (any of my batteries will be able to power the case if needed but the big 4s will be the main batteries).
    Have a 1 in to 4 out RCA 12v powered amplified hub. Have a 7" LCD screen for case viewing, SD card DVR, and IMAX charger with balance board, and depending on room, voltage meter off the batteries (have some cells testers in route to install) and some 12v sockets.

Not too complicated, will see how much I can pack into the case.
  6. Steven Campbell

Got some connectors in the mail and got them soldered up, I hope to make the motors and other items simply plug and play.

With the 40a esc and whatnot, I would imagine I could swap between motors from basic learning to some with good power.

Also going to see if making the camera and VTX plug and play as well. Will see if these connectors can hold up to flying or if I will have to scrap the whole plug and play idea. 20180320_043028.jpg
    Spork likes this.