ESC mounting for Tarot 680 pro

Discussion in 'Build & Tune' started by Jurriaan, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Jurriaan

Jurriaan Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I have bought a new hexa copter frame, the Tarot 680 pro with canopy. I have Turnigy Plush 30a ESC’s and will use a 4s Multistar 10c lipo and Naza FC.

Frame: https://multirotor-parts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/54311jpg.jpg
    Canopy: http://tarot-rc-heli.com/image/cache/data/TL2851_02-500x500.jpg
    ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2164__TURNIGY_Plush_30amp_Speed_Controller_w_BEC.html

Main question, where I’m a going to mount the ESC? There are so many discussions on the Internet between high skilled people with a degree (in electronica) but contradict each other.

In my opinion I have two options with pros and cons:

ESC below the motor (pros):
    • More space left main plate
    • Less heat in the canopy
    • Good option for people who says only lengthen power leads and don’t lengthen motor leads
    ESC on main plate (pros):
    • Many people says it’s better to lengthen the motor leads instead of the power leads
    • Less weight on arms
    • Cleaner design
    • No power leads and ESC signal cable together in the carbon fiber tube
    • Rule of thumb people Internet: don’t lengthen the power leads over 12 inch. Not necessary when ESC on main plate
    • No magnetic field in carbon fiber tube
    • People Internet, don’t mount your ESC close or below the motor
    • No need for lengthen the ESC signal cables to FC
    How do you solve this in practice?

2. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

I placed my escs where the motor is, ran the wire through the tubes, and did not have any issues. It was really stable.

You cannot trust everything you read online. Here is a video of mine.

3. Jurriaan

Jurriaan Well-Known Member

I was hoping you should reply Ringolong. I know your videos ;) Your video/frame/configuration is my starting concept for the new build.

I also want to run the wires through the tubes but Internet made me crazy. I think I will return to my first idea how to build this setup.

Questions:

1. Do you have 3 wires per tube? So power leads and ESC signal wire together?
    2. Maybe stupid question, but did you twist the power leads to reduce the magnetic field in the tubes? In other words, carbon fiber and power leads, isn't that a bad combination?
    3. How did you lengthen the power leads? Just with bullet connectors or are there better options like stripping the ends and solder them?

4. ringolong

Thanks for watching my videos :)

1. Do you have 3 wires per tube? So power leads and ESC signal wire together?
    1. Positive
    2. Negative
    3. ESC signal wire - Heatshrink where the cables connect(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5IAZJK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00)

2. Maybe stupid question, but did you twist the power leads to reduce the magnetic field in the tubes? In other words, carbon fiber and power leads, isn't that a bad combination?
    I did not twist, and never had any issues.

3. How did you lengthen the power leads? Just with bullet connectors or are there better options like stripping the ends and solder them?
    I soldered longer wires and then used 3mm bullet connectors. Soldering is always best, but bullets made it more convenient for me.

5. BeetleBuilder

BeetleBuilder New Member

Sorry to respond to such an old post but I just started this build a few weeks ago. It sounds like there is no issue with running the power wires instead of the motor wires. But, I just got mine this month and the kit came pre-soldered with the bullets on the motor wires and the power pre-soldered to a distribution board instead of the upper board. So, it's pretty clear they have set this up to NOT put the ESCs under the motors. However, I can't figure out where on the body I'm supposed to put the ESCs and still have room for the legs to retract. I'd rather not undo all of the soldering if I don't have to. Any suggestions?

6. ringolong

You should be able to mount them underneath the body. I just liked mine under the props where they would stay cool.

Soldering is not bad at all. I would personally just solder longer motor wires in place.

7. BeetleBuilder

BeetleBuilder New Member

Yeah, I went ahead and extended the power wires on tonight. Under the body is a little cramped because of the battery board. I'll experiment with it though. I might end up putting them on the top. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

My 2 pence worth would be, if I had the the space I would put the esc's close to the CG as possible & away from danger.