Emax 30A ESC problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quadcopter102, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Quadcopter102

Quadcopter102 Well-Known Member

I started a build -

450 eBay DJI clone- frame
    DJI 2212 920 kv motors
    Emax 30a SimonK motors with bec.
    Naze32 AFRO FC 6DOF
    Bench testing with a 1500mah 11.1v 40c 3 cell Lipo.
    Testing in the garden went badly! Power up slowly just as its lifting.... it flips 360 to the right before I could shut it down.
    I run it through Clearflight, checked the receiver is OK and motors.
    Re-calibrated the ESC using the Clearflight motors section.
    Before and after that - checked each ESC with the Emax programmer card - all OK all matching settings.
    Moved props around just in case although they are DJI props and well balanced.
    Back in the garden, - I thought maybe I was too slow lifting off and should apply more power to jerk it up. It just sent a bit higher and faster in a not to grazeful 360 flip - to the right.

Back on the bench - I ran it through Clearflight again.. no props on naturally - everything seemed OK.
    Pigged off, I took out the USB cable and picked the frame up to remove the battery. This I did by grabbing the front right arm... fingers around the ESC... which was quite warm. I checked the others..cold. I put a small fan on the ESC to cool it off.. then ran the motor's - within 30 seconds - it was getting warm. The others still cold.
    Running the motors in Clearflight - all shown to spin at the same speed. With props on running up power.. they all seem to sound the same and run at the same speed to a point where it seems to surge - then the flip happens.

The obvious solution is to change the ESC.. but I dont have any spares and reluctant to strip one from another completed build - add to that China is closed for NY!

I would also like to know why the ESC is getting warm or any tests I can do without having a lab full of testing gear.

2. RGJameson

RGJameson Hanging in there...

Are all your BECs connected to the FC?

3. Quadcopter102

The Emax ESCs do not need separate Becs and all ESCs. FC etc are connected as they should be.
    The problem seems to point to one ESC on right front arm - getting warm while others do not and indicates a faulty ESC.
    That said it goes through Cleanflight's Motor section as spinning at the same min/max speed for all four.
    The right flip indicates a lack of thrust from the right side to keep it level on take off.

What I do not know is - is it a "fatal" flaw in the ESC and its trash bin time - or is there a way to check it and/or adjust it.

4. Quadcopter102

5. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

Did you calibrate them?

6. Quadcopter102

Do you mean before I started the video? Yes - and also during the video to prove the point...

7. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

It is acting strange. I always order an extra esc just in-case. Do you have an extra one to test with?

8. RGJameson

I wasn't referring to the use of UBECs. Are the BEC power leads from all 4 ESCs being used?

9. Quadcopter102

The Emax ESCs uses a 3 pin /wire connector to the FC - all are in place.

Emax have replied today after seeing the video. They suggest the No2 ESC is - "stopping power to the motor" and are shipping out a replacement.

10. RGJameson

Seeing as you are getting a replacement, cut/remove (and tape it) the red lead from the troublesome ESC. The others will provide all the power you need.
    [​IMG]
    Leaving only the ground and signal wire plugged into the FC. Try running the quad again, it may just be a problem with the BEC circuit.

Quadcopter102 likes this.
  11. Quadcopter102

Worth a try.... thanks...

EDIT:

Pulled the wire...Ran the motors in Cleanfight - basically the same reading...no 2 on full stays at 1850 - others flutter... but the ESC stays cool!
    Propped it up.....out in the garden... started the motors... increased throttle slowy - got to a point where the quad was oscillating increased throttle - flipped 360!
    Repeatt start up.... this time just normal wack the throttle - two feet high an into flip from 1 inch high!

So either the ESC is still losing power - or its a component within the electronics that is not doing its job.
    I used a naze32 ( wrecked a KK2 on the second flip last week!) and my new Turnigyi10 with which I am not 100% aware of what it can do!

I will try it using my Devo 10 and if need be a cheapo 5ch Turnigytx/rx - see if it reacts different.

2nd Edit: Everywhere I read the Naze32 is flyable from the go... then fine tune if need be! Its on the firmware default so far - so maybe teh flip is more about naze than Emax!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016