drone choice by battery

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by geom, Dec 21, 2017.

1. geom

geom New Member

hi all,
    I'm a newbie looking to get into this hobby.
    I have some RC cars using 4000 mAh, 20C, 3C, 2S, 7.4V batteries, and I have a lot of them. I would like to use these same batteries for the quad if I can find one that works. Is here any like this on the market? do I have to build my own? Can this even work? Is this a dumb idea????
    Thanks for any help

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Not a dumb question at all. Unfortunately, you're going to need a fairly large copter to haul a 400 mah lipo around, which is going to require a 3S at the very least. BUT don't let this discourage you, unlike lipos for ground-pounders, you can get multirotor batteries for next to nothing.

T.C. likes this.
  3. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

You can combine the 2 cell to make a 4 cell quad, most brushless motors will run on 3 or 4 cell you will need to make sure the ESC has a BEC to run FCB

4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Surely this is not advisable. I mean combining batteries into double cells without knowledge of the circuitry involved, can be dangerous.
    Sorry but like RENOV8R said, you ain't doing much with them bricks.
    They store alot of power but only at a certain voltage & these don't produce enough power/volts to lift itself.
    Full power at quarter stick,more or less.

5. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

To double up it's a lead that plugs in as long as the ESC and motors will run a 4 cell your fine , the mah will not change just the volts if run is series , if you run in parallel the voltage stays the same the mah goes up

mozquito1 likes this.
  6. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Jackson likes this.
  7. SLFLY

SLFLY Well-Known Member

The MJX Bugs 2 , 3 and 6 models use 2S batteries with a 25C rating. But they are 1800mah/1300mah in size. I think the Bugs 2 and 3 could lift the 4000mah battery but the Bugs 6 might struggle.

8. geom

geom New Member

thanks for all the input. My take away is that it's a bad idea.