DJI controls around 70 percent of the global consumer drone business

Discussion in 'Quadcopters In The News' started by ArmyVet, Jan 4, 2018.

1. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

$2.7 billion

The Chinese company DJI controls around 70 percent of the global consumer drone business and saw sales reach $2.7 billion last year. The Chinese Ministry of Industry and IT is forecasting massive growth for the drone sector, something like 40 percent growth annually through 2020 and 25 percent annually thereafter. [Technode]

No comment here...........Just the facts.:rolleyes:

2. sailorsam

sailorsam Well-Known Member

nothing against them but I hope others get bigger. not good to see so many eggs in one basket.

they jumped in right time right product so good for them.

mozquito1 and ArmyVet like this.
  3. stony99

stony99 Active Member

I would think that maybe DJI has the biggest sales in terms of dollars, but I would think that Syma produces more drones over all. Yes, DJI selling 10 Phantoms vs Syma selling 10 X5C's ..... DJI might win the dollar amount, but I'd guess as drone sales goes, Syma sells 100 X5C drones for each DJI Phantom that sells. Somebody must have the numbers on this.

ArmyVet likes this.
  4. KentA

KentA Well-Known Member

That's probably why DJI is now marketing the $99 "Tello".

5. ArmyVet

Apparently not exactly a DJI product. Could be an interesting entry level toy.

A Chinese startup called Ryze Tech is selling an affordable drone with technology from Intel and DJI. The $99 Tello is a tiny machine with a camera that can capture 360-degree video and stream live footage to a tablet, or to an unspecified selection of third-party VR headsets. It’s aimed at a young audience, and Ryze promises features that will make it safe and easy to use, including automatic takeoff and landing. It says these features are possible because of an Intel vision processing chip and flight stabilization from DJI — a company known for larger and more expensive drones.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16863546/ryze-tello-drone-intel-dji-sensor-cheap-price-ces-2018

Bill

6. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

I think they're probably doing this so that they don't have to describe the Spark as their "entry level" AC. Interesting though that DJI is marketing a product other than their own.

7. I would like to see intel get into the game, with dev kits to program your own drones flight patterns etc..

KentA and ArmyVet like this.
  8. ArmyVet

Pretty soon, Amazon, Google and Facebook....... et al. will be in the game;)