Crashed quad now having problems???

Discussion in 'Mini Quads & Racing' started by Pritch106, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Pritch106

Pritch106 Member

Hello all, I'm new on here and new to the world of quads.
    So I recently bought a Hobbyking Black Widow 260 racing drone. I went out into the field yesterday to take it for its first flight, I was in the air for all of 30 seconds before crashing into a tree pretty fast and seeing all 4 props breaking into pieces. I wasn't to bothered by this as I knew It was going to happen but just not that quickly haha, so I put on some spare props I had and tried to fly again only this time when I tried to take off one of the motors wasn't spinning as fast as the rest so the quad was just flipping over instead of taking off.

Being so new to this I have no idea whats wrong with it or where to start looking to determine what is wrong so any help from the veteran pilots out there would be greatly appreciated.
    I should also add, the esc's came cable tied to the arms to keep the wires tidy but after the crash the esc for the motor that started playing up was dangling down where the cable tie had broken off so I don't know if that could be something to do with it.

Thanks all

2. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi mate see if the slow motor feels the same as the other motors when you spin it by hand backwards and forwards , as long as the ESC wires are ok it should be good
    The motor may be damaged but test each step by step so we can help you sort it out

3. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

yest to the esc part. also after crashes into the ground or trees there is commonly pieces of trash that can get into the motor and cause friction. Is the motor or esc hot after arming it for a 15 second period? This is an indication something isnt quite right. Have you hooked it up to betaflight or something similar? Sometimes after a hard crash the FC (flight controller board) needs settings resaved.

The props that come on most quads are crap and shatter at the slightest bump.
    These are great props and very durable. pictured on my quad to the left right over there.
    DALPROP CYCLONE Series T5050C Tri-Blade High End Propellers 5X5
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MPQX5Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mozquito1 likes this.
  4. Pritch106

Pritch106 Member

Ok so the motors all feel fairly similar when rotated, I did notice that one of the wires has a slight hole in the rubber where it must of hit the tree but its miniscule. That isn't on the dodgy motor though.

Oh I see. Well it doesn't look as if there is anything in the motors but I'm no expert haha. No nothing feels hot after arming.
    No I haven't had it hooked up to anything yet, Whats the best way to do that and is there a specific software I need to use for my quad or can you generally use any?

Thanks for the prop recommendation, I did have a question about props also. What difference does it make when you put tri blade props on instead of dual blade?

5. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi normally if you go tri blade you reduce blade size by an inch
    To be safe for testing don't have any blades on but don't give motors full throttle as they will over rev with no props
    Sound like it worth a try and just set up again on the PC as DrAbsurd said

Pritch106 likes this.
  6. Pritch106

Pritch106 Member

So abit of an update.

After some more fiddling and head scratching I have figured out that rather than one of the motors spinning slower than the rest, there is one that is spinning way faster than the other 3. Closer inspection reveals the rubber that surrounds the wire has a slight nick in where it must of hit the tree so the wire is actually visible. I unplugged the connector for that motor from the control board and spun the motors up again and the 3 motors still connected span at more of a normal speed, although it seemed like they fluctuated a little and didn't stay at a steady rate.

I'm yet to plug it into open pilot or whatever I need to use because I cant find the cable for it so Ill get one. Does this shed anymore light on the issue?
    I am still none the wiser haha

7. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

Along with checking the motors to see if any get hot you should also do the same for the ESCs.
    It's possible that an ESC got damaged in the crash (which may or may not even make it get hot, but it's still worth checking).
    Any exposed wires should be covered with some heat shrink tubing (or replaced) because carbon frames are conductive and
    you don't want anything shorting out, not that it necessarily has anything to do with the problem you're having, it's just a good
    precautionary habit. Checking it on a PC will show if anything is out of whack as far as settings or rather response to settings.
    I find it's helpful when troubleshooting to move parts around. That is to say, swap the suspect motor with one on another arm
    and see if it still misbehaves (if so it's the motor), if not and the good motor from the other arm misbehaves then the ESC
    (or circuitry feeding it) is then suspect. You get the idea.

8. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Do a gyro recalibration & esc aswell.
    I do this every time I come back from flying. & yep those V2 cyclones are the bizz. I find they have more bite than the Avan R.