Controlling quad via laser

Discussion in 'Experimentation' started by navinl16, Oct 27, 2016.

1. navinl16

navinl16 New Member

Hello everyone, so basically what I would like to achieve is controlling a quadcopter by using a laser. My main goal is to point to a location using a laser and have the quad copter go to that location. In theory I can see the laser providing the direction in which to go, but not the distance. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Flip1196

Flip1196 Flip1196

Since we live in a 3 dimensional world I believe you would not be able to control but 2 dimensions with a laser. You could point the laser to a destination in the sky and the quad would fly there on the X and Y axis. The Z axis or depth axis would be harder to control. You might be able to write a program using GPS/LASER telemetry to obtain the x and y and point the laser directly at the quad to stop it on the z. The problem would be distance....the quad would have to be in sight at all times and therefore make this a very short flight. With that being said.....you start at the beginning and expand on the idea. Great idea though. Good luck.

3. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6x1 Moderator

There are laser based transmitters and receivers used for other stuff outside or the hobby, you could use one for a super high bandwidth, high range LOS. They require tracker systems and generally costly equipment.

;) controlled by lasers at least

4. GJH105775

Also you might want to take a look at doing an open cv based project if you're willing to do the work it takes.

5. Gabriel Yee

Gabriel Yee Well-Known Member

When I read your post for some reason it reminded me about the transformers...point a lasr at your target to destroy it!

Laser is used to measure the distance so the location can be pinpointed accurately, this technology is indeed used by the military, but I don't think a commercial drone exists to make use of this.
    Would me for a great university project though

GJH105775 likes this.
  6. GJH105775

If you wanted to make the quad follow the laser dot as it is pointed on a flat surface it would not be too hard, though the b ase before getting to the actual part where the program decides where to go is probably harder. There are some open source projects that I
    d suggest you check out for stabilization and basic movement. After that I'd start into some openCV tutorials and demos. It is a pretty simple task to decide where the dot is in a video, how the video should affect the craft, and where to to as long as you're talking about flat surfaces.

7. Gabriel Yee

On a flat surface everything would be much easier, but in the real world there would be lots of problems, like your point of view is different from the drone so it might not be able to "see" the dot.
    This might be easier if the laser was integrated within the drone and you could determine it's location from the FPV.

GJH105775 likes this.
  8. GJH105775

I
    I agree, however you could do a proof of concept, although I see basically no real world uses.

9. Gabriel Yee

uhm...Drone attacks :)
    Bang bang

10. shephard101

shephard101 New Member

Gabriel thought about transformers, but i thought about Battle Los Angeles. The scene that soldier use laser to pin point an alien to be shoot. But i love the idea actually, one day maybe it could happen.

11. GJH105775

Well we do have people that laser designate targets. If you use an IR laser it is invisible to the eye, but VERY visible to IR equipment.