CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Gauthier, Jul 16, 2017.

1. I bought this kit from Amazon (not faulting Amazon)
    https://www.amazon.com/QWinOut-Dron...=1499199539&sr=1-10&keywords=drone+kit+flysky

The battery in this kit is an FMT 3s LiPO. The + (red ) and - (black) wires were reversed INSIDE the battery! The connector was right because the Red wire went to the + terminal and the Black went to the - terminal. This is dangerous.

The 4-pin balance connector was wired correctly and that was used to do the initial charge.

When I first plugged it into the bottom plate of the drone via the Power Module, it smoked the module instantly. It also burned open the + connections between the plate input and the 4 ESC's.

I reversed the wiring on the battery as you can see in the picture. I soldered an external jumper wire over the burned (internal) plate etch and ordered a new ordered a new power module.

I do not know yet if the ESC's were damaged.

Moral of the story, when you buy a battery, it would be wise to check the polarity of the battery.[​IMG]

yay likes this.
  2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Wow what a drag. Did you give Amazon a shout? I can't see your pic but you may be able to use it as proof. You may as well get an inexpensive 4 button LiPo charger, it would have caught the reversed wiring.

3. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

Small or large..........I always do.

4. I would normally charge these batteries with my lipo charger, but I figured I would check out the little charger that came with it. Since the 4-pin connector was wired correctly, it didn't know anything was wrong. Like dragger201, I will be checking new batteries in the future.

I am certain Amazon would replace this kit if I asked, but it's not worth the trouble. I already have the thing built up so I will just take care of it myself. The only cost to me is the power module, $7 on ebay. I did put a motor on one of the ESC's and somehow, it is working. Looks like 4 ESC's simply overpowered the plate's etch. :)

5. DuaneM

DuaneM Drone? I don't see any drone ... crap!

Wow! I have never checked my batteries before. I will be now! I'm just running on the very edge of a small budget for my toys now, couldn't take a hit like that!

6. QuadKid

QuadKid Noth'in Like a Flat Top

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017