Binding Flysky FS-I6 with Syma X8G

Discussion in 'Ready to Fly Quads' started by Jason Bierschwale, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Jason Bierschwale

Jason Bierschwale New Member

Hey guys,
    I have a Phantom 2 that has been upgraded with Phantom 3 parts. My sn has flown it several times and liked it so much he bought a Syma X8G with his first paycheck. He already had a Flysky FS-I6 radio for his plane, so he wanted to get a quad he could bind with his radio. He said he did some research before buying the X8G, but I cannot find anything other than a mention in one forum saying the Syma quads use Flysky protocol. I cannot find bind info anywhere for this radio/quad combination. Does anyone know if we can make this work? I tried going through the basic binding procedure last night but couldn't get them to talk. Any help would be appreciated. If there is some other similar quad in the same price range that WOULD work (if this one will not), could you suggest one?

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

I'm confused. What's wrong with the radio that came with it?

3. Jason Bierschwale

The Syma radio is very cheap, and feels and acts like it. The Flysky FS-I6 has MUCH better resolution on controls. He is constantly having to trim the radio to get his X8G to come to any semblance of a hover. I explained the lack of a GPS in his quad, but he would just like to use a better radio. I have flown his plane with the Flysky, and it feels very nice - every bit as good as my DX6I. I can understand why he wants to use the Flysky for the quad. I just want to know if it is possible... and if so, how to do it. I tried powering up the quad and then powering up the Flysky holding the bind button. They never bound together.

4. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can see where he's coming from. But on a side note, the stability of the quad really has nothing to do with the quality of the radio. It's more of a calibration, COG thing. Besides, hovering is over-rated hahaha

Jackson likes this.
  5. Jason Bierschwale

True! I love zipping my little quad around - narrowly missing certain wall death. I bought us both Blade Nano QX's about 3 years ago (before the FPV version was available). The radio that came with the Nano's was "ok"... they are functional. I bound my DX6I to my Nano, and it flies like a completely different quad. I mean like racing quad agility and response. It was fairly difficult to control with the blade radio (we were newbies), but with my DX6I its rock solid. I can fly through obstacles and around things with much more dexterity. The resolution on the controls is a night and day difference from the stock radio to the Spektrum. He is hoping to have the same difference between the Syma radio and the Flysky. That's all... nothing crazy we're trying to do.

6. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Your i6 will not work.

Do some searching here. There are some Symas they have gotten to work using a Devo 7E plus an NRF24L01 module that needs to be soldered in.
    https://www.deviationtx.com/

Syma seems to always be farting around with their protocols.