Battery Wire Came Out, Please Help!

Discussion in 'First Build' started by IsaacS, Feb 5, 2018.

1. IsaacS

IsaacS Member

I was flying, then I crashed. My battery flew off the quad and one of the propellors sliced one of its balance charging wires, so I can't charge it. How do I fix it?[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

That is a pretty easy fix. You really have a couple options. You could cut it back a little further and solder in a new wire with a JST end already on it that you pulled from some other plug, or you could clamp a new end on, however as you are asking the question I assume you don't have JST ends and a clamp tool.

If you can find another wire with the metal insert in it that you don't need you should be able to take something like a razor blade and lift up the little plastic clip that holds the end on and pull it out of the connector. You can then do the same to the plug on the battery (making sure not to bend the plastic too much) and remove the metal insert from your balance plug. The cut the black wire coming from the battery back a little bit and with solder splice the wires from your newly acquired JST "insert" and the wire from the battery. Be sure to use some heatshrink to insulate the splice. Once you have it spliced you will just line up and push the metal into the plastic on the balance lead. Be sure to pull back a little to make sure it is in the connector.

Gyro Doctor and Spork like this.
  3. Spork

Spork Well-Known Member

Strip the end of the black wire and solder it back?

I've just recently learned to solder and it is a lot easier than it appears after you watch a youtube video and practice a little.

There are a ton of tutorials on youtube, here's one I found:

LHazleton, mozquito1 and GJH105775 like this.
  4. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

Probably not enough wire to solder it back to. you can reopen the JST end and solder it to a wire, but it is a more trouble, and would require some skill with a soldering iron, also you would need more wire than you have to do so comfortably.

Spork likes this.
  5. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Use a pin to get the end out then strip the wire back about 2mm. Then with a small pointed tool, try & unclamp the tiny bit of wire out of the connector. & enough to get the other back in. Then with pliers squeeze it back closed. Or if you got a soldering iron just solder the end of wire back to the end then put it back in the jst.

Spork and GJH105775 like this.
  6. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

This may not be the same but the end result will be. IMG_20180206_215754931_HDR_crop_332x308.jpg
    Yours may be clamped a different way, like halfway up. but persevere & try open it up. Do you know anyone with a soldering iron.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Spork likes this.
  7. IsaacS

IsaacS Member

Alright, thanks guys!

Rick M and Spork like this.
  8. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi guys you can get a balance plug repair lead so you just solder the new plug with wires on to the wires from the battery , or get a balance lead extension lead cut off the male end and you now have a repair lead

Spork likes this.