Battery Connector placement?

Discussion in 'Frame Design' started by GJH105775, Jun 11, 2016.

1. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6x1 Moderator

Totaled a frame and I'm rebuilding while addressing my previous problems (screws too close to corners, unnecessary slots that weakened the frame, and some added holes for mounting) one problem I have run into is figuring out where to place my female battery connector.

Any ideas? Looking for some place that will handle a crash, be easy to use and will work for most batteries.

Getting tired of the tail off the back hahaha here is the frame for reference, also any ideas on the lovoltage buzzer/balance plug for FPV?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

You forgot the link! Doh

3. GJH105775

Hahaha, updated it. Thanks for pointing it out.

4. RENOV8R

Can't really give any input, as I've got pretty well the exact same setup on my 250. I think as long as the power leads come up through the chassis which makes them a lot harder to get ripped off the PDB if the plug gets hung up on something, it's not a bad setup. Getting late, I'll take some pics of my setup in the morning

5. Altsickeness

Altsickeness Quad Addict

First of all, that quad is cool! Its like a retro quad if quads had been around for decades... If that makes sense. I have the exact same set up, but I was wondering about a way to turn the battery around and have the plug come up in the middle somehow. I saw an x frame set up that had the plug like that where the plug was right on the side at the x axis. Also, i think the vortex or tbs vendetta has the plug center-ship. Seems like a good idea to have the battery wires up and out of the way.

6. Altsickeness

Altsickeness Quad Addict

7. RENOV8R

Here's how mine's set up. IMG_2313.JPG IMG_2314.JPG

8. GJH105775

[​IMG] Might just shorten it. Though I made my voltage buzzer able to go under the straps fro the side like mentioned. Considering something like this for the XT60 : .

Also I moved my anteana to the other side instead of going back to the rear again like my lat setup. this gets it far enough away from my control rx while having the added safety of not being on the back.

Jackson likes this.
  9. GJH105775

Shortened via zip ties. Not pretty, but I might be putting groves in the arms to hide the wires and then put lauan over the channels, then pretty up the ESCs though this is more of a beater frame so IDK yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I've been speculating on adding a second receiver to my quad, maybe one for a micro, that would be used to activate a small pen-sized flashlight that has it's own batteries, but was wired to light up remotely. Is this practical, or is there a practical alternative method?

11. GJH105775

There are some PWM activated lights and switches that could even run off the quad's own voltage, or if you were stuck with something like CPPM or serial, or even PWM you could use an arduino to do the switching based on whatever parameters you can immagine like a switch or armed status. If you got a transmitter and reciever that did not weigh much, did not interfere with other equiptment, and was economical I supose you could do it as you said.

12. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

There's a shop near my home that carries drones along with components. Being that mine is what's regarded as a "toy grade" drone, what parts do you suggest to accomplish this? My end goal, is to maximize this drone's potential, rather than experiment on a much more expensive drone. What proves to be doable on this one or other "toy grade" drones, can be replicated on higher grade drones after refinement.