Are 3s and 4s batteries interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Parts & Components' started by Jimbo69ny, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Member

I am new to this and I have a used drone came with a 3s battery. I did some research and my DJI recommends a 4s battery for the motors that my drone uses.

I see that they are different voltages. How does that affect the drone? Do all drone components operate on both voltages?

Thanks!

2. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

Not a drone expert, but I do know something about electtronics.

You may get away with using a different voltage. And then again you may instantly fry something or degrade something over time.

Dont do it.

3. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Are you talking about a specific, complete model, or did you just check the motors?

Should work fine if the motors are paired with ESCs that are also 4S capable.

[​IMG]

4. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi mate it affects the rpm or KV of the motor KV is rpm of the motor per 1 volt you put in , I have the DJI motors on my tricopter and that runs on 4 cell or 3 cell with no problem .Like Jackson said the esc must take a 4 cell , what motors and esc combo do you have

5. Wildwelder

Wildwelder Well-Known Member

Every component has a specific voltage demand. They must all be compatable with your battery and eachother. If you research the components youll find all this info. Too high a voltage battery and you now have a paperweight with propellers.

6. GlassKnees

GlassKnees Well-Known Member

I'm using 4S lipos on my quadcopter that's equipped with an APM 2.6 flight controller, 200 mW video transmitter, and Tarot 4006 620 kv motors. My ESC's are 30W OPTO's. I can switch back and forth with no problems - the ESCs/motors are fine, the f.c. gets its power from an APM power module that can handle the voltage range; ditto for the video transmitter and gimbal.

7. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Member