Altitude Question

Discussion in 'Safety & Regulation' started by Squirrel1138, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Squirrel1138

Squirrel1138 Member

I want to shoot some video of a 100yr celebration on a local mountain. I can't fly my drone from the base of the cliffs to the summit without exceeding the 400ft limit. If I hike to the top how does the 400ft ceiling apply? If fly from the top I wI'll only need to fly maybe 50ft higher than the summit to get the shot I want.

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

If you climb to the top I'd say you earned the right to send it up 50'. Technically you are in the right as if it's rock, it's ground. The 400' should apply. But would be wise to check all notam's. & be weary.
    Manned pilots can be idiots aswell.

Squirrel1138 likes this.
  3. Squirrel1138

Squirrel1138 Member

Thanks for the reply. I will hoof it to the top. I just wanted to be as close as possible to maintain contact with my Phantom 3. I'm still new at the whole drone thing. Flying out over the cliffs to get the ideal shot is making me extremely nervous.

mozquito1 likes this.
  4. mozquito1

I was like that with fpv. It turned my stomach going over an edge.
    But now it's just water my gut feeling says nah sod that.

Squirrel1138 likes this.
  5. Squirrel1138

Squirrel1138 Member

I just don't want it dropping 400ft off the cliffs or get attacked by Peregrine falcons. It will will be past their breeding season but might still be a issue.

6. yay

yay Well-Known Member

in the u.s., it's 400ft above the tallest thingy on the ground, and outward a good ways from it. i don't remember what the # waas (also 400 ft??) but eg. if a tower is 400 ft tall, you can fly 400 ft. above that, and out to the side a good deal.

my fave sample from 1138, "you are engaged in an unauthorised procedure.. remain where you are..." i could never figure out if remaining where you are is the unauthorised procedure or the imperative.

pdmike, mozquito1 and Squirrel1138 like this.
  7. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

The 400' limit is from your home position. So wherever you get GPS lock is ground zero

Squirrel1138 and mozquito1 like this.
  8. yay

yay Well-Known Member

9. Megajoe

Megajoe New Member

Where to fly drones and what is the law?

10. Squirrel1138

Squirrel1138 Member

I actually just watched that video just a little while ago. Super helpful. Thanks.

11. mozquito1

Read the drone section in the FAA or CAA manual.
    I'm not typing all that.
    But basically you got a bubble around you, metaphorically speaking. That's 400' high and 300' away in all directions. If anything airborne comes into that area, be sensible. Be it bird drone or Manned aircraft. You should not really fly within 50m of a person or vehicle you are not in control of. That's only on the ground as far as I'm concerned on take off. I can fly above 50m over a person. But must not fly over large crowds or arenas. To fpv you are supposed to have a spotter.
    A friend who can see the wider picture while you have goggles on. Try to keep whatever MW vtx power is legal in your country, lol obey all this aswell as download the notam's app to check there is no activity in your vicinity, or to show or prove if anyone turns up. It looks like you are on the ball which you are.
    Just be sensible.

Squirrel1138 likes this.
  12. Squirrel1138

Squirrel1138 Member

This is the first I've heard of this NOTAMS app. I'll look into that. Thanks.

13. mozquito1

There is another phone a app called,
    Noflyzone. It will give you a 5mile radius of any airport around. & pinpoint you on a map. So you know it's safe.

Squirrel1138 likes this.
  14. Kilroy

Kilroy New Member

FAA says nothing about 300' away.