Ai Freedom II mods and upgrades.

Discussion in 'Parts & Components' started by Chuck, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I just measured the antenna on the spare FCB that I recieved from GearBest. It is (allowing for the end soldered to the board) 31.25 mm in length. The 2 dbi wifi antenna, which is installed on the quad, but not yet wired up, measures at 10 cm, not including the coaxial cable, and the threaded fitting. Same as the one that I installed on the throttle controller.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

It don't work that way.

Yank off that plastic tube to see the actual antenna.

Ant dipole .png

Probably a 31mm antenna stub and a 31mm metal reflector.

3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

On the wifi antenna? If that is the case, would you recommend soldering it in place of the original antenna, to the outer end of the original antenna, or in addition to the original? Would grounding be necessary, and how would I do that with no recognizable ground on the FCB?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  4. Jackson

Use your multimeter, set it for continuity and use the NEG battery lead for reference. Then start checking various points around the antenna connection.

5. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

So now, I'm at a loss for my current problem. I swapped out my original two-blade rotors for replacement three-blade rotors (my 'D' model upgrade). Everything fits properly, the rotors are oriented correctly (leading edges spinning in the proper directions), and spinning freely, yet things are irratic on launch. When I throttle up, the quad will try to fly backward, sometimes off to the right or left (while flying backward). If I replace the three-blade rotors with the two-blade ones, everything returns to normal. There is no binding of the three-blade ones. None are unusually loose, none failing to spin. No noises indicating a gear failure or motor failing either. I find that it takes adjusting the throttle for forward flight before lifting off, to compensate for this, which I don't think I should have to do.

6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I think that I may have found the cause of the uncontrollable takeoffs, with the three-blade rotors that I installed. Although they fit like the factory-original two-blade rotors, which it turns out are the same ones used on Syma X8-series quads, there's a small "step" on top of the "trunk" that spins around the shaft, as opposed to the originals having a ringed "dish", which a small steel flat washer is seated in. I'm wondering if the tolerances are off just enough to cause a slight descrepancy in rotating speeds among the rotors?

7. Jackson

What else could it be?

8. Ronny m holmes

Ronny m holmes New Member

Hey chuck where can I get replacement parts for the ai freedom ii looking to do almost complete rebuild