Advice on Choosing a Drone

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Gene_Drone, Jan 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gene_Drone

Gene_Drone Member

I have been flying my Husband x4 107c for awhile in my basement and outside. I want to move up. Here are some attributes that I want to put out there so it might be easier for you to help me.

I am retired (not sure why that's relevant but I am)
    I do not want to race
    I would like a decent camera that takes videos and snap shots
    Want it to be able to maintain altitude automatically
    Not sure if FPV is needed but seems that it is needed if you fly far. Thoughts on FPV
    Want to be able to control it at least 500 yards
    Not sure about auto return?
    Do not want to spend more than $275

Thanks in advance for all of your insights.

pdmike likes this.
  2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Oh cowboy, where art thou :D

3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

4. mozquito1

That didn't link to a quad RENOV8R.
    Just a page of different stuff.

5. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

6. mozquito1

That one did;)

7. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

The BG one worked fine for me, BTW Tomtops rep is kinda shaky.

8. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

I haven't used Tomtop, but they do have a lot of negative reviews. I've had great luck with Banggood after many orders.

Jackson likes this.
  9. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Lately Gearbest things come quicker when they ship America Line(SF).

Just a note, you get points for reviews, more points for a pic. I just grab one from the net. :)

10. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for 45 years

... I've cashed in my points for odds and ends over time, nothing wrong with tossing in some free stuff to your next order :)

11. mozquito1

Found a Chinese vendor on eBay who can ship to the UK in 8 days.
    Normally 3wks+, I put one order in & 7days.next was 8 & the last time was 8 days. I messaged them as usually they have a warehouse in UK or Europe. But no it had all the Chinese writing on & had come from China. Shame though as they haven't much stock I would buy.

12. Gene_Drone

Gene_Drone Member

Thanks for all of the insights. Does anyone know about the quality of the videos of the 501S referenced above?

Also, what is the "gimbal" feature do? It looks expensive.

pdmike likes this.
  13. pdmike

pdmike Extremely Popular Member

The gimbal holds the camera and allows the camera to move independently from the movement of the drone. You can use settings to make the gimbal do a number of things. You can keep the camera level to the horizon while the drone tilts to the left or right while making a turn or you can keep the camera on the same plane as the tilt of the drone. You can tilt the camera so it is looking straight ahead or straight down or anything in between. Gimbals generally come as an integral part of the drone.

I purchased several, low-priced drones and did not have very good experiences with them. They are generally very light, and therefore subject to wind carrying them off. They are harder to control than the higher-end drones. So, after a while, I bit the bullet and got a refurbished Phantom 4 for slightly under $900.00. Best thing I ever did. If it is at all possible for you, I would suggest doing that. DJI drones are extremely easy to fly - much easier than lower priced drones.