A bad battery may have caused all my crashes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by photojunky, Jul 1, 2018.

1. photojunky

photojunky Well-Known Member

Today I noticed the battery that was on board in each quadcopter crash was a little soft to the touch and round. Although the battery seem to behave normally meaning that it never really died quickly, had a single bad cell, or got very hot, I noticed that after flying my hexacopter for about 10 minutes it started to behave slightly erratically like my quad copters did just prior to crashing. I brought it down immediately and luckily did not crash the hexacopter. The new battery is obviously the rounded one. The other battery is new. It is not rounded and rock hard to the touch unlike the soft jelly feeling blue battery. 20180630_152905-1.jpg 20180630_153005-1.jpg 20180630_153020-1.jpg

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Sometimes voltage sag can be so low its just barely enough to power some systems causing the problems you probably encountered. Look after your lipo's. I only ever balance charge & don't let let them go below the storage charge of 3.8v. When not in use I have them @ 3.8v
    Dont skimp on batteries IMO. I got some that are 3yrs old. Nano tech, tattu.
    Throw away that lipo it could cause you some unwanted hassle or lose the whole quad. Have you no OSD to check.

GJH105775 likes this.
  3. mozquito1

This sag normally happens after you give it some throttle & or near the end of the pack. I got a few puffed ones but they are used to run my groundstation.

photojunky likes this.
  4. photojunky

photojunky Well-Known Member

Thanks for comments, exactly what I am going to do with it. I'll also use it to test stuff on the ground. It will never power another quadcopter or at least not in the air.

mozquito1 likes this.
  5. mozquito1

Yeah just bench testing or goggles.