3D Printed designs?

Discussion in 'Frame Design' started by GJH105775, Mar 14, 2017.

1. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C6 Moderator

Well I finally joined the ranks of many hobbyist and got myself a 3D printer. I always thought I'd end up with a CNC first or build my own 3D printer however life changed and a 3D printer was my only option.

That asside lets get to the important part: What successful 3D printed racers have you seen and what are the parameters for a successful printed frame? I'm looking to get into frame design, paticullarly tilt rotors but that should be later because I don't have all that much experience with 3D printers (as of now I have a week before it even arrives).

If anyone has any frame ideas I'd be happy to take a look at trying a couple.

Here is what I'll be printing with:
    Printer: Craftbot PLUS
    Single filliment
    Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF)
    Build volume: 250x200x200mm (approx. 10” x 8” x 8”)
    Layer resolution: 100 micron (ultra)
    200 micron (high)
    300 micron (medium)
    Position precision: X,Y: 4 micron
    Z: 2 micron
    Filament diameter: 1.75 mm
    Nozzle diameter: 0.4 mm
    Print speed: 50-200 mm/s

2. yay

yay Well-Known Member

after watching my first quad sail away on some invisible high altitude current, i'm now waiting and waiting for the next one to get here. i thought i'd fill the time by modeling my frame ideas.

i'm old skool - my first choice for 3d is pov-ray (it may still be in history books somewhere) so today i'm going through the f/w choices, probably gonig with openSCAD as it is text based.

spent about an hour now looking for an stl of the defacto? whoop/e011 frame. i no longer have a frame on hand to look at, and can't find one i can trust as being this frame. so it looks like i will have to wait and design the thing by measuring the one when it gets here.

my advice to young people is to abandon all hope immediately. i remember i had to wait five years for chris kerry to hook me up with sdk install instructions while he made maybe a few hundred dollars he was scared of losing to me and my free offerings.

one man gets a few hundred dollars, i get *five freaking years* that i'm not allowed to help anyone or share anything because other people are afraid of me.

and that's typical. this society is so buggered by modal competitiveness instead of synergetic cooperation. we could be decades and decades ahead, but of course, there are *lots* of people who don't like that idea at. all.

yup. i just wanted to put some rollbars on an e011 frame and take off the ducts. rollbars should be about 3" radius for the top half and maybe 1.25" for the bottom half, making a sort of leaf-shaped contour when viewed diagonally. the purpose of this is to replace the protection functionality of the ducts (please.. ducts shouldn't have a gap at the edge of the prop) and to simply allow a crashed quad to always roll into upright position if it lands upside down.

it's a really simple idea, and i guess this field is new enough that no one has implemented it yet.

this is why we should cooperate instead of capitalise, so the entire society isn't stuck on one profiteers myopia for generations. i always thought, a wealthy society is one where your fellows aren't incompetent, frustrated and helpless and intolerable to be around because everyone keeps kicking them down so they can make a buck off them. every one thinks they are a winner because they have their foot on someone else's face, every one of them is a weak spined crap sucking bottom feeder.

3. yay

yay Well-Known Member

openscad is pretty easy to get up and running.

kind of like a weeble effect
    leafcage.png