200$ budget for Amazon purchase

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Quad2018, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Quad2018

Quad2018 Member

Can you guys point me to the right machine. Id love to buy one that has the longest reach in signal and also has the goggles. Dont care on anything else really. Just want range and be able to wear the gogle for fpv. Thanks... total noob! Also... if you buy a quad and it doesnt come with glasses, can glasses be bought seperatly to use on it or does the quad have to support it if it has a cam?

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Yes, as long as the quad uses 5.8ghz for it's FPV.

3. Quad2018

Quad2018 Member

Thx Jackson. Anyone got recomendation on which one is the best purchase for 200$?

4. In my limited experience the Hubsan 501s is hard to beat. Can be had for 200 on amazon. I love mine, and have flown in now about 7 times without incident. I broke my first cheap drone twice in two days.

Quad2018 likes this.
  5. Quad2018

Quad2018 Member

Thxs for the info. Looks like a very nice drone. 300 meters is nice! Im such a noob, i want the googles to get the fpv. Will this take them? And do you have any refommendations for a decent set under 100$?

6. This is an area I'm also exploring, as far as I can tell the video is 5.8ghz which is the standard for goggles so it'll work, but apparently range sucks with the with cheap goggles. There must be a reason why people use 300 dollar goggles with add on receivers. The screen on the transmitter is good to fly with.

7. Quad2018

Quad2018 Member

Makes total sense Mathew. Its confusing being new to this. So many quads! Some gps amd other dont. Some have proximity and others dont. Some range 50 meters and others claim 1 mile. Brushless or non brushless. Lipo batteries, never heard of them. So I am trying to obsorb as much and I think I might just save some more money and go for a better quality. Phamtom seems to be the ultimate. But expenssive. Ill keep researching. The quad you refommended looks real nice. Only issue is the Amazon reviews scared me. Theres a few people who claimed it flew away into the sunset while shooting guns in the air like the old western movies, and never saw the drone again. And others said after a firmware update, it grew A.I and flew straight up and shot to the stars to never be seen again. Some had the drone replaced while other were told to pound sand. Lol.

8. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

Im my small experience (3 months) there are 2 sections of quad enthusiasm. Kinda like off road stuff. Theres the riding around in luxury while looking and theres the dirt bike racers (seems like this is split too. some like super small fast agile racers for indoor use and others like the heavier stunt setups.) I like all 3, as im sure a lot of people do, but I enjoy the thrill of fast fpv flight with the hang time abilities and stunt flying more so thats what I concentrated on first. Away to tell which one your looking at is how the camera is mounted. High deff looks down or straight forward. Racers look forward or up (to allow for fast flight while seeing up range properly). Wifi seems to be something to stay away from unless your doing small track indoor racing. 5.8ghz video seems to be the standard. Brushless seems to be the norm in big racers (over 3 inches) and nonbrushless for smaller than that. A note about the flying away to never be seen again, calibrating those cheaper drones after any kind of crash or hard landing is a must. This is probably wise to do on a regular basis no matter what you fly. The ability to do full acro is another thing to watch for. stunt drone doesnt always mean you will have full control. Push button stunts is probably a good way to catch that quick.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  9. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

99.99 % of "flyaways" can be attributed to inexperienced pilot error

10. Fly high

Fly high Well-Known Member

I know mine was!

11. Quad2018

Quad2018 Member

Have you guys heard of the high end Phantoms flying away?

Also, im looking for aerial shots. I do architectural visuals and would love to add a reliable quad to my tools. The higher I can fly the better. And is the 1 mile range true? Canbthe high end models go as far as 1 mile?

12. RENOV8R

Yes probably more than any others, but for the reason previously stated.
    DJI markets them as being able to fly themselves which they can basically do in GPS mode. So someone buys it as their first drone and all is good until a little glitch happens and the aircraft goes into Atti mode. Now the inexperienced pilot is in control and panics. See ya, nice shiny $1500 Phantom. There are also issues of not being aware of interference, improper IMU calibration and recording home position. I could go on...........

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  13. DrAbsurd

DrAbsurd Well-Known Member

DJI Mavic can go up to 6 miles in a trip from what ive seen. thats 3 miles away and 3 back in the video. My dad has one but i havent had a chance to test all those things and hes not even that into it so he hasnt either. I flew it around a mile out across a field and it did great. video footage was excellent. The return to home features or great. fly by gps is awesome. downside is the app based part. I had a couple of app crashes where i couldnt reconnect until it landed and was rebooted (this is where return to home was great). Its much smaller than the phantom and it folds up nice and tight. Theres even a smaller version than the mavic but i cant remember the name right now.

14. Quad2018

Quad2018 Member

Very good information everyone. I think I will save up for the mavic. Around 800 to 900. All the reviews are very positive and nothing good has been said about it and even compared to the Phantom's it holds up very well in quality

15. RENOV8R

Spark 006.JPG
    Spark

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  16. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

Yep, if the cam is hanging down from underneath it (especially if mounted on a gimbal), it's a "camera platform".
    If the cam is tucked inside the nose with just the lens barely peaking out and is angled looking UP (at roughly 45 degrees) it's a "racer". ;)