Will this burn out my gimbal motor?

Discussion in 'Build & Tune' started by Kealan, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Kealan

Kealan Active Member

The gimbal is the storm32 3 axis from ebay. I haven't used it yet, only uploaded the bootloader. I'm using a gopro hero which doesn't fit into the gimbal so I modified it so it would fit. I 3D printed a piece to drop the platform which the camera rests on down about an inch and out about an inch too. This gives the camera enough room to move without banging off the part of the gimbal that doesn't move. The piece increases the distance from the centre of the motor to the gopro, will this extra distance and therefore load burn out the motor?

Sorry about no pics, I tried to upload some but I can't get them down to 1mb

2. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

The potential is there. How hot do the motors get?

Kealan likes this.
  3. Kealan

Kealan Active Member

I haven't actually tried it yet, just said I'd ask first as the last thing I want is to ruin my gimbal that I haven't even used yet.
    Should I just go for it and keeping checking motor warmth?

4. ringolong

Would like to see an image. You should be able to resize it. I usually go 1000x1000 to be able to post images here.

5. Kealan

Kealan Active Member

I got an app to reduce them, thanks!

As you can see the white 3D printed part moves the camera out and down so it has space to move. In the other photo I counteracted 99% of the tilt in the pitch axis with a spare 3D printed arm and some weight at the end of it. This is not he final set up for the gimbal I'm just trying to balance it so I can turn the gimbal on and calibrate it

Attached Files:

6. Kealan

Kealan Active Member

Sorry my reply didn't tag you, I have replied above

7. ringolong

Hmmm. I am wondering if you could use long standoffs to lower the gimbal. I have used them to lower the gimbal on my 680. I think what you have might cause vibrations in the footage.

8. Kealan

Kealan Active Member

The gimbal is already as low as it can go without the bottom of it touching the ground when the quad is not airborne

9. ringolong

When and where is the camera hitting the frame?

10. Kealan

Kealan Active Member

Here is a photo of the gimbal without the 3D printed extension on it. As you can see the gopro fits snug, however the gopro hero (the one I have) doesn't come out of the shell like the one in the picture so it is much chunkier. All the gimbal can do it yaw in this case. Both roll and pitch are limited to about 5 degrees because the chunky gopro hits off the top of the gimbal. My 3D printed white piece allows the gopro to move freely as it provides more space for my gopro. I'm just wondering if this extra distance iv added onto the distance from the motor centre to camera platform will cause the motor to overheat.

Attached Files:

11. ringolong

Pull the black latch on the top of the camera up. It should release and allow you to pull the camera out of the water proof case.

12. Kealan

Kealan Active Member

This model of gopro doesnt come out of the housing. I can open the latch to remove the sd card and charge the camera but it's stuck in the housing. It's the gopro hero entry level camera that they no longer sell.

13. ringolong

Oh. I have not had one of those.